YouTube is currently one of the world’s largest video hosting and sharing platforms, with over 2 billion monthly logged-in users and over a billion hours of video watched per day. With this massive audience, YouTube has opened up opportunities for content creators, marketers, and businesses to showcase their message, products, and services to the world. One of the essential features of YouTube is that it allows anyone to upload videos easily and fast. In this guide, we’ll explore how to upload videos to YouTube in a few simple steps.
Who is this guide for?
This comprehensive guide is designed for beginners and intermediate content creators, marketers, and businesses who want to make the best use of YouTube as a video sharing platform. Whether you’re starting your YouTube channel for personal interest or want to promote your brand through videos, this guide will help you understand the process of uploading videos to YouTube and make your content more professional and successful.
Step 1: Create a YouTube Account
If you are new to YouTube, creating a YouTube account is the first step you need to take before you can upload a video. If you already have a Gmail account, then you can use that to sign up for YouTube.
To create a YouTube account:
1. Go to the YouTube homepage – www.youtube.com
2. Click the ‘Sign In’ button on the upper right side of the screen.
3. A pop-up with two options will come up: “Sign In” and “Create Account.”
4. Click on the “Create Account” button.
5. Fill in your details like first & last name, email address, and password.
Once you have signed up for a YouTube account, it’s time to start uploading your videos.
Step 2: Uploading Your Video to YouTube
After creating your YouTube account, follow these steps to upload your video:
1. Log in to YouTube using your credentials.
2. Click on the camera icon or the “Create Video/Post” button, which can be found at the top right corner of the screen.
3. In the drop-down menu, select “Upload video.”
4. Select the video file you want to upload.
5. Add a title, description, and your video’s thumbnail. You can choose from either the auto-generated thumbnails or upload a custom thumbnail.
6. Set the privacy level. You can choose from Public, Private, and Unlisted.
a). Public – anyone can view the video on YouTube.
b). Private – only the person who has uploaded the video and people who the uploader has invited can view the video.
c). Unlisted – the video can only be viewed with people who have access to the link of your video.
7. Add tags to your video. Tags are keywords related to your video that will help YouTube to suggest videos to viewers who are interested in similar content.
8. Choose the right category for your video. This will also help YouTube to suggest videos to viewers who are interested in similar content.
9. Once you are done, click on the “Publish” button, and you’re done.
Note: It’s essential to ensure that your video adheres to YouTube’s community guidelines and terms of service, especially if you are looking to monetize your channel through the YouTube Partner Program. Ensure the video’s content is original, does not infringe on anyone’s copyright, is not spam, and has no misleading metadata.
Step 3: Optimize Your Videos for SEO
YouTube is also a search engine, just like Google. To get your videos noticed by your target audience, it’s essential to optimize your videos for SEO. Here are a few tips to optimize and rank your videos higher on YouTube search results:
1. Use Keyword-Rich Video Titles: Make sure your video titles are short, concise, and keyword-rich. Use YouTube’s autocomplete feature, which suggests search queries which are related to your niche. For example, if you are uploading a video on “How to make a Chocolate Cake”, start typing “How to make” or “Chocolate Cake” and see what other keywords come up. This is an excellent way to get keyword ideas that your potential viewers would be searching for.
2. Write a compelling video description: Your video description should have the most important information at the beginning of the description. Viewers will only see the first two or three lines of your video description when they are searching. So, make sure you add the most valuable and essential information in those lines. Use these lines to give context to your video and encourage viewers to watch your entire video.
3. Use Tags Strategically: Tags are keywords that will help your video to rank higher on YouTube’s search results. Make sure you add relevant tags related to your video. For example, if you are uploading a video on “How to make a Chocolate Cake”, use tags like “Chocolate Cake,” “Baking,” “Cooking,” and others related to your niche.
4. Use Closed Captions: Closed captions are the text that appears on the video, which can be turned on or off by viewers. Closed captions will help YouTube’s search algorithm understand your video’s content, making it easier to rank higher on search results.
Step 4: Monetizing Your Videos
Monetizing your videos on YouTube is an excellent way to earn money online. YouTube provides a variety of ways to monetize your videos, such as through Google AdSense, merchandise and fan funding, and sponsorships.
1. Google AdSense: Google AdSense allows you to earn from the ads that are played before, during, and after your YouTube video. You can earn money by allowing YouTube to display advertisements on your videos. To start making money from ads, you need to have at least 1000 subscribers and 4000 hours of watch time in the past 12 months.
2. Merchandise and Fan Funding: YouTube has an eCommerce feature called the “Merchandise Shelf” that enables content creators to sell their own merchandise and products to their viewers. You can sell everything from t-shirts to phone cases to earn revenue. Besides, you can also use crowdfunding sites like Patreon or Ko-fi to receive donations from your audience.
3. Sponsorships: Sponsorships are another way to monetize your videos on YouTube. You can partner with brands related to your niche, and they will pay you to advertise their products in your videos.
Step 5: Promoting Your Videos
After uploading a video, it’s important to promote the video to get views, likes, and comments. There are several ways to promote your video on YouTube and other social media platforms.
1. Promote on Social Media: Share your YouTube videos on your social media accounts like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn to reach your followers. You can also join relevant Facebook or LinkedIn groups related to your niche, where you can share your videos and expand your audience.
2. Use Email Marketing: Consider creating an email list to send regular updates to your subscribers about your latest videos. You can use email marketing platforms like Mailchimp or Constant Contact.
3. Collaborate with Other YouTubers: Collaborating with other YouTubers in your niche is an excellent way to reach new viewers and create a more significant impact. Find other YouTubers in your niche and explore ways to work together, such as creating a joint video or promoting each other’s videos.
4. Use Video SEO Techniques: As mentioned earlier, optimize your videos with SEO techniques such as adding keywords, tags, and descriptions. Use other SEO techniques like building backlinks and social signals to promote your YouTube video on search engines.
YouTube is one of the most significant platforms to share and upload videos for both personal and marketing purposes. In this guide, we have explored the step-by-step process of uploading videos to YouTube, optimizing them for SEO, monetizing, and promoting them. By following these simple steps, you can create successful YouTube videos that will engage and grow your audience, making it easier to achieve your goals.