Yaphet Kotto was a talented and successful actor who was best known for his role as Al Giardello in the NBC television series “Homicide: Life on the Street”. He was also best recognized for portraying the main villain Dr. Kananga/Mr. Big in the James Bond film “Live and Let Die” (1973). Furthermore, his other films included the science-fiction/horror film “Alien” (1979), and the Arnold Schwarzenegger science-fiction/action film “The Running Man” (1987). Sadly, Yaphet Kotto passed away on 15th March 2021.
Bond Villain and ‘Alien’ Star, Yaphet Kotto Dies at 81
Yaphet Kotto, an actor known for his performances in “Alien,” the James Bond film “Live and Let Die” and the television series “Homicide: Life on the Street,” has died. His wife, Tessie Sinahon, first posted about Kotto’s death on Facebook Monday night. “I’m saddened and still in shock of the passing of my husband Yaphet of 24 years. He died last night around 10:30 pm Philippine time,” she wrote. Most recently, he voiced Parker in the “Alien: Isolation” video game. He is survived by his wife and six children.
- Being an American actor.
- For his role in movies and TV shows such as “Homicide: Life on the Street”, “Alien”, and more.
What was the Death Cause of Yaphet Kotto?
On 15th March 2021, Yaphet Kotto dies at 81 in Manila, Phillippines. His wife announced the news on Facebook, did not reveal the cause of his death.
Was Yaphet Kotto Religious?
Born with the real name of Frederick Samuel Kotto, his born date was 15th November 1939. His place of birth was in New York City, New York, the USA. He held American- nationality and his ethnic background/ethnicity was African-American. His race was black. He lastly celebrated his 81st birthday. He was born to his parents; Gladys Marie (mother) and Avraham Kotto (father). His mother was an American nurse and U.S. Army officer of Panamanian and West Indian descent. His father was a businessman by occupation who emigrated to the USA in the 1920s. His parents separated when he was a child and he was raised by his maternal grandparents. His father was raised Jewish and his mother converted to Judaism. He was religious and his religion was Jewish. Whereas his Zodiac sign was Scorpio.
About his education, he studied acting at the Actors Mobile Theater Studio by the age of sixteen.
How was the career of Yaphet Kotto?
- Yaphet Kotto made his acting debut at the age of 19 in “Othello” and then appeared in “The Great White Hope”.
- He made his film debut in an uncredited role in “4 For Texas” at the age of 23 in the year 1963.
- Later, he appeared in “Nothing But a Man” (1964) and also played a supporting role in the caper film “The Thomas Crown Affair” (1968).
- He was also seen in the 1968 episode “King of the Hill” on the first season of “Hawaii Five-O”.
- As a singer, he released a single “Have You Ever Seen the Blues”https://gossipgist.com/”Have You Dug His Scene” in the year 1967.
- He then rose to fame after he got the role of the James Bond villain Mr. Big in “Live and Let Die” in the year 1973.
- In 1977, he made the role of Idi Amin in the television film “Raid on Entebbe”.
- He also starred in the 1978 film “Blue Collar” and played as a parker in the sci-fi horror film “Alien”.
- In 1987, he appeared in “The Running Man” and in 1988, he was seen in the action-comedy “Midnight Run”.
- In the mid-1990s, he retired from his acting career but later he had a final film role in the 2008 movie “Witless Protection”.
- After that, he started appearing in TV roles. He played the role of Lieutenant Al Giardello in the long-running television series “Homicide: Life on the Street”.
- As an author, he has released two books “Royalty” and “Homicide”.
- He also voiced “Parker” for the video game “Alien: Isolation” in the year 2014.
Who is Yaphet Kotto married to?
Yaphet Kotto was a married man. He married three times during his lifetime. He married his first wife, German immigrant, Rita Ingrid Dittman in 1969 which produced three children. Then, the duo divorced in the year 1976. He then secondly married Toni Pettyjohn and also with her, he had three children. The married couple then divorced in 1989. For the third time, he married his third wife, Tessie Sinahon who is from the Philippines. Their marriage took place in the year 1998. By the year 2000, he was residing in Marmora, Ontario, Canada with his wife. His sexual orientation was straight and he was not gay.
How much is Yaphet Kotto Net Worth?
As per sources, the famous actor, Yaphet Kotto’s net worth was estimated to have $5 Million. During his career timeline, he had appeared in many movies and TV Shows. His source of money came from his acting roles and from scriptwriting work. He has not mentioned anything about his salary details to the media neither any sources has revealed his career earnings. But there is no doubt that he was making his earnings in millions. He was living a luxurious lifestyle from his career work prior to his death.
How tall is Yaphet Kotto?
Yaphet stood tall at the height of 6 ft 4 in or 193 cm. His balanced weight consisted of 248 lbs or 112 KG. He had a hair color of black and his eye color was dark brown. His body build was average.