Travelers Championship: 5 golfers withdraw from PGA Tour event over potential coronavirus exposures
Brooks Koepka, 30, said he had decided to step down to protect his competitors and everyone else involved in the travelers’ championship this week.
Despite three positive tests, Monahan has announced that the tournament, which is scheduled to start in Connecticut on Thursday, will go ahead as planned, with no fans.
“I think we all have to remember that we all learn to live with this virus and we all have to learn to live with this virus, both as individuals, as family members and certainly within our businesses. It’s pretty clear that this virus is going nowhere, “said Monahan.
PGA Tour organizers assured fans that it “will continuously strengthen all players, cadets, staff and support staff on property during PGA Tour events to respect social distance and other safety protocols that further minimize risk, “said a statement.
The new cases of coronavirus do not seem to worry too much the English golfer Justin Rose.
“I always feel safe and good procedures are in place,” Rose told CNN’s Don Riddell. “This is where I think golf has an advantage over other sports. We are not in close contact with our competition. Many golf clubs are now open around the world with certain procedures and precautions in place and i ‘hope this is an advantage for us, but we need the guys to keep them safe and healthy. ”
From Clemson University to Oklahoma State University, a growing number of university athletes across the country are positive. And it was reported last week that several football players with the Dallas Cowboys and the Houston Texans were positive.