Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch or Jaworznickie Stowarzyszenie Pikarskie Szczakowianka (Catch your breath) are both football clubs in Wales and Poland respectively. After all, if there are 26 letters in the alphabet, why not use them all? Just try pronouncing one of the following clubs. Spoiler: you won’t.
1. The Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch Football Club
- 1 1. The Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch Football Club
- 2 2. The, watch out be ready: Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit Bravo Association Football Club
- 3 3. The Panthessalonikeios Athlitikós Ómilos Konstantinoupoliton
- 4 4. Zalaegerszegi Torna Egylet
- 5 5. Gençlerbirlii Spor Kulübü
- 6 6. Jaworznickie Stowarzyszenie Pikarskie Szczakowianka
- 7 7. The Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu (it’s not a joke)
- 8 8. The Dutch team of NAC Breda (be careful, it’s more complicated than it seems)
- 9 9. The REAL name of Borussia Dortmund
- 10 10. Nordsjaelland
Commonly called Llanfairpwll Football Club because they didn’t have enough room on the shirts. It’s still quite complicated to make a supporter song with such a name, but we imagine that the Welsh manage to do it.
A simpler word to pronounce instead: chair.
2. The, watch out be ready: Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit Bravo Association Football Club
So there I don’t know what happened in the mind of the person who decided on the name, but in any case the Thai team is called Bangkok Bravo FC, because even they are too lazy to pass 30 min to just say the name of the team.
A simpler word to pronounce instead: salad.
3. The Panthessalonikeios Athlitikós Ómilos Konstantinoupoliton
This Greek club is also called in another way to avoid lengths: PAOK FC (much simpler than the name just above).
A simpler word to pronounce instead: table.
4. Zalaegerszegi Torna Egylet
Well, we are already on something more pronounceable. If we wanted, we could make an effort and try to pronounce the name of this Hungarian team from the city of Zalaegerszeg, but just like the supporters of the team we will not squirm and just call the ZTE team. We have the right, they also do it first.
A simpler word to pronounce instead: tile.
5. Gençlerbirlii Spor Kulübü
You probably guessed it (or not), this is a Turkish team, in fact it is even the team of the big city of Ankara. And the club have won the Turkish league twice, so put some respect on their name.
A simpler word to pronounce instead: stool.
6. Jaworznickie Stowarzyszenie Pikarskie Szczakowianka
A Polish 4th division team, also known as “Garbarnia Szczakowianka Jaworzno” (not so much simpler after all), so if even the nickname is complicated, we don’t know what to do anymore…
A simpler word to pronounce instead: soap.
7. The Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu (it’s not a joke)
The Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu (I lost my right thumb while writing), and actually called Taumata FC though which is vastly simpler. This Maori club has indeed kept its traditional name, but in reality no one calls them that anymore (fortunately).
A simpler word to pronounce instead: centripetal.
8. The Dutch team of NAC Breda (be careful, it’s more complicated than it seems)
The “NAC Breda” is in fact the diminutive for “Nooit opgeven altijd doorgaan, Aangenaam door vermaak en nuttig door ontspanning, Combinatie Breda”, we explain (because yes, there is an explanation): the NAC was founded after the merger of two clubs NOAD and ADVENDO. NOAD is the Dutch abbreviation for “Nooit Ophouden, Altijd Doorgaan” (meaning “Never give up, always persevere”). ADVENDO is also the abbreviation of “Aangenaam Door Vermaak En Nuttig Door Ontspanning” (which means “Pleasant for his entertainment and useful for his relaxation”, and no we are not talking about a massage cushion).
So here it is if we summarize, the name of the club is in fact a whole sentence that we simplify to “NAC Breda”.
A simpler word to pronounce instead: diluvian.
9. The REAL name of Borussia Dortmund
Everyone knows the name of the mythical German club, but few people know the much more complicated real name of the club, especially for us French people.
In reality the name is: Ballvereinborussiadortmundneunzehnhundertundneun (yes yes).
A simpler word to pronounce instead: backhoe.
This club from the north is especially boring to spell because of the A glued E that we do not know in our language. Always banging the Danes pff.
A simpler word to pronounce instead: curtain.
In short, if you want to create a football club without supporters and made so that no one comes to your matches, all you have to do is take inspiration from one of the names in this top, so everyone will be lazy to create songs with and above all nobody will buy anything from your merchandising. And here in the teeth.