Castings at the cinema and on TV, we know how it goes: we take guys who appeal to girls and girls who appeal to guys, that way we get a maximum audience. Anyway, that’s the theory, since in practice there are also plenty of roles intended for more ordinary physics. This is where the BG actors, who are usually a little advantaged, find themselves struggling to get a job. Life isn’t always easy when you have great baby skin and abs.
1. The producers of Shameless US thought Emmy Rossum was too beautiful for the role of Fiona
- 1 1. The producers of Shameless US thought Emmy Rossum was too beautiful for the role of Fiona
- 2 2. Jennifer Lawrence was originally denied her role in Winter’s Bone
- 3 3. The Four Weddings and a Funeral screenwriter didn’t want this Hugh Grant bg in the cast
- 4 4. The director of Pride and Prejudice thought Keira Knightley was too beautiful
- 5 5. Alison Brie almost couldn’t star in Glow because she was too cute.
- 6 6. Jessica Biel struggled to find roles because she was too sexy
- 7 7. Scarlett Johansson was not cast in ‘Millennium: Men Who Didn’t Love Women’ because she was too beautiful.
- 8 8. Noomi Rapace almost missed the role of Lisbeth Salander in the original version of Millenium
- 9 9. Raphaël Personnaz was refused a lot of roles because he looked like a young first
- 10 10. Daniel Auteuil almost couldn’t play in Jean de Florette because of his living god physique
Those who have already mate US Shameless know it: the series is about an American family struggling to make ends meet and living in a slightly filthy house. Fiona is the big sister of the family, the one who takes care of everything but is still sometimes a shower or two late. On screen, she must therefore not always be physically on top, and that’s where it got stuck for Emmy Rossum who is, in all objectivity, a bomb. The producers felt that she couldn’t not be pretty, no matter what they put on her face. The actress managed to prove them wrong, but hey, in real life she’s still pretty. It’s not for nothing that we find her in the top of series characters to whom we don’t say no even if they really need a good shower (yes, this top exists and I’m proud of it.)
2. Jennifer Lawrence was originally denied her role in Winter’s Bone
If Jennifer Lawrence is today one of the greatest actresses in Hollywood, it is thanks to her talent, but also to the film. Winter’s Bone which propelled her to the front of the stage. She plays the role of Ree Dolly, a girl who takes care of her brothers and her sick mother, even if it means forgetting herself. So you needed someone who didn’t look like he cared too much for the role, and Jennifer Lawrence was pretty much the opposite, which made her lose the role at first. She had to fight and prove to the producers that yes, she could look slovenly and dress in baggy clothes. And it’s true that it does it rather well in the film.
3. The Four Weddings and a Funeral screenwriter didn’t want this Hugh Grant bg in the cast
Richard Curtis, who wrote the screenplay for the film, did everything he could to keep Hugh Grant out of the cast. He didn’t want the main character to be handsome, and, you all know, good ol’ Hugh isn’t gross. But, unfortunately for Curtis, he landed the role anyway. You can’t have everything in life. Well yes, Hugh can.
4. The director of Pride and Prejudice thought Keira Knightley was too beautiful
The actress said in an interview that Joe Wright, the director ofPride and Prejudice, was not very keen to see her in the role of Elizabeth Bennet, a woman whose small family struggles a lot in life. But Keira Knightley added that after meeting her in person, Joe Wright told her that, in the end, she was good for the role. Apparently she took it very well.
5. Alison Brie almost couldn’t star in Glow because she was too cute.
glow, which can be watched on Netflix, tells the story of Ruth, an unemployed actress who joins a women’s wrestling show. To play Ruth, you needed an actress with a normal physique, so when Alison Brie, a subscriber to the roles of cute young women, applied for the role, it was complicated. But Alison didn’t get upset and showed up to the audition in gym gear, no makeup, and her hair tied back. A real hangover outfit, there’s nothing like losing a good dose of beauty.
6. Jessica Biel struggled to find roles because she was too sexy
In 2005, Jessica Biel was voted “Sexiest Woman in the World”, and, even if it can be fun, it didn’t bring her all the good. On a professional level, as she said in an interview, it closed a lot of doors for her. The producers were looking for women to play cute but accessible girl roles, they didn’t want the sexiest woman alive. You see, it’s easier to be ugly.
7. Scarlett Johansson was not cast in ‘Millennium: Men Who Didn’t Love Women’ because she was too beautiful.
The actress auditioned for the thriller, and David Fincher found her really strong, but a little too hot. He explained (be careful, it stings a little on the level of sexism) that the only thing you want when Scarlett Johansson appears on screen is for her to undress. The role therefore went to Rooney Mara, who was a little more cut out to play Lisbeth Salander, the film’s gothic geek.
8. Noomi Rapace almost missed the role of Lisbeth Salander in the original version of Millenium
Just before we were talking about the American version by Fincher, but the same problem arose for the Swedish original by Niels Arden Oplev. The director found Noomi Rapace too beautiful to play Lisbeth Salander. In the end, the actress did everything she could to prove that she was capable of it and immersed herself 100% in the role to convince everyone. And it’s true, she convinced everyone.
9. Raphaël Personnaz was refused a lot of roles because he looked like a young first
When you have the good looks of an ideal son-in-law, you can easily pick up in the evening, but when it comes to picking up roles, it’s not necessarily the same thing. Raphaël Personnaz has noticed this since he was refused a lot of characters because of his too advantageous physique. He said in an interview that a director had even told him that he made him think too much of Delon. I would like to be told the same thing one day, but for the moment it is mostly said that I look like Karim Leklou. Anyway I prefer Karim Leklou.
10. Daniel Auteuil almost couldn’t play in Jean de Florette because of his living god physique
Well, in any case, it is he who says that Claude Berri, the director of the film, had refused him the role of Ugolin because he was “too handsome”. Neither one nor two, our Daniel grabbed his lawnmower and got the ball to zero to show that he too could have an ordinary physique. It worked, and he was able to play with Montand and Depardieu. What a BG this Daniel.