“If in doubt, ask your piercer.”
When it comes to piercings, this seems to be the mantra. Of course it’s not wrong; You should always consult a professional when making decisions about your body.
However, your piercer will not be by your side when you start shopping for body jewelry online. This can be a concern as you are trying to make decisions about your body jewelry purchases online, especially when shopping for something higher than you would here at FreshTrends.
Safe online shopping for body jewelry is a matter of proper education. Here are the things you need to know about your piercings so you can choose the right body jewelry, online too.
Know the measuring device you need for your piercing
Strength – the thickness of the rod or pin of your body jewelry – is important for two main reasons.
- Too small a gauge can cause problems like jewelry rejection.
- Too large a gauge can stretch the piercing (which is not always ideal depending on where you are pierced).
You should choose jewelry that is the same thickness as the needle that was used to pierce you. If you are not sure, you can speak to your piercer and they should be able to let you know.
A note on stretching: It is possible to wear thicker jewelry if you want to stretch your piercing. However, it must be done in a safe manner. You can’t just slide the larger jewelry into your piercing.
Know the correct barbell length and / or the correct tire diameter
Like the thickness of the jewelry, the size of the jewelry shouldn’t be too small or even too large depending on the piercing.
Undersized jewelry pushes against the piercing holes, promoting embedded jewelry and other problems. Jewelry that is too large carries the risk of hooking (or, with oral piercings, they can rub against gums and teeth, which can lead to tooth decay)
Correct size jewelry is another thing that you can get from your piercer. They have tools to measure your piercing and let you know the sizes to choose from. We also have a handy chart to show you what the sizes look like so you know what to expect before you receive your item.
Things to Look For When Buying Body Jewelry Online
Once you know the thickness and length / diameter of the jewelry you need, it is safe to choose body jewelry that will fit perfectly. However, there are a few other things to look out for when shopping.
- Is the jewelry threaded inside? Internal threading protects your piercing as it ensures that the threading process will never scratch your skin when you change your jewelry. It’s also a bit more difficult to construct than external threads, so it’s usually a sign of high quality jewelry that is built to last.
- What is the gem or charm size? Perhaps the most difficult aspect of shopping online is that it can be difficult to get the size right. The last thing you want is to buy a diamond earring and find out that the gem is a lot smaller or bigger than you imagined it would be. The website you buy from should have lots of pictures to showcase the jewelry size. You should also be able to find great reviews so you know you can trust the retailer.
- Which materials are used? It is very important that your jewelry is made from biocompatible materials that have been approved by the Association of Piercing Professionals. There are tons of body jewelry made from materials that can actually be harmful to your body. Pay close attention to materials, including whether the jewelry is plated or solid, what types of plastics are used, and whether the jewelry contains nickel (which is often skin irritant).
Still nervous? Take it!
Never be afraid to contact the dealer before buying a product. They want you to be amazed with your purchase and they are happy to answer all of your questions.
If they react negatively or not at all, this is a good sign that you probably don’t want to buy through them anyway. Whenever you buy a piece of jewelry to wear inside your body, you need to make sure that it is both safe and beautiful. This means finding a dealer you can rely on every step of the way.
Psst … FreshTrends has it all
Okay, maybe we had a little motive behind this blog post that doesn’t just equip you with knowledge. We’d like to brag that at FreshTrends we offer a stress-free online shopping experience.
When you shop at FreshTrends all you need is your right sizes. We have lots of pictures so you can see exactly what the jewelry will look like before you buy, and our customer service team is always ready to answer all your questions in a friendly and thorough manner. It couldn’t be easier when shopping for body jewelry.
If you are still concerned about buying body jewelry online, here are some adorable jewelry pieces that will seduce you.