Tennis star Nikoloz Basilashvili charged with assaulting ex-wife

Tennis star Nikoloz Basilashvili charged with assaulting ex-wife

The world’s No. 27 ranked Nikoloz Basilashvili was charged with assaulting Neli Dorokashvili last month after a disagreement, according to a statement from the Georgia prosecutor’s office.

Basilashvili has been released on bail of 100,000 Georgian Lari ($ 31,300) and is scheduled to return to court on July 16 for the next hearing. An investigation into the criminal case is under way.

In a statement posted on Basilashvili’s Facebook page after his bail, his legal representatives said the allegations were “false and completely unfounded”. The couple, who have a five-year-old son together, divorced last year.

“We would like to assure fans of Nikoloz Basilashvili that the video footage already submitted to court testifies to our client’s position and fully discharges him of the above false allegations,” said a statement from the lawyers.

However, Dorokashvili’s lawyer says there is evidence to support his claims.

“There are people who witness their relationship. There are video recordings and audio recordings. There are also transcripts, there are SMS dialogues and so on,” Ana Abashidze told CNN .

Basilashvili and Dorokashvili divorced in 2019.

“Unfortunately, the media unfairly covered the issue and the vast majority of the Georgian population supported Basilashvili, not because of the aspects of the case, but because of the reputation of Basilashvili and his gender.

“But we are still trying to do our best to defend a young woman who is morally judged by the Georgian community.”

Basilashvili became the first Georgian to win an ATP Tour title with a victory in Hamburg, Germany, in 2018.

He won two other titles, including a defense of his crown in Hamburg last year.

“Nikoloz Basilashvili is deeply saddened by the false allegations and the ordeal he has had to go through in recent days; he also regrets the inconvenience for all the friends and family members who have become involved,” the statement said. lawyers.

“At the same time, he would like to express his gratitude to the general public for his unconditional support, and he will prove his total innocence and allow the whole truth to prevail.”

Neither Basilashvili nor its legal representative responded to CNN’s request for comment. In a Facebook article on May 28, Basilashvili’s lawyer Irma Chkadua said the lawyers would no longer comment to the media.

“We would like to declare that (the) Georgian Tennis Federation has always condemned any form of violence,” said a statement from the national sports governing body.

“The incident involving Nikoloz Basilashvili is currently the subject of a police investigation and GFT will not announce its position on the matter or make comments until this investigation is completed.”

ATP did not respond to a request for comment when contacted by CNN.

The tour is currently suspended until July 31 in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic.

Source link

Content Protection by DMCA.com