Unfurl the magic of the Silicon Valley of India, Bangalore, with a visit during the vibrant summer months. Known for its pleasant climate, lush parks, bustling streets, and historical monuments, Bangalore offers a delightful blend of traditional charm and cosmopolitan spirit. Let’s embark on an exhilarating summer journey through the thriving city.
Prime Locations for Tourists
- Lalbagh Botanical Garden: A horticultural wonder in the heart of the city, Lalbagh is home to a myriad of rare plant species. The iconic glasshouse, inspired by London’s Crystal Palace, is a sight to behold.
- Bangalore Palace: Exhibiting the grandeur of the Tudor-style architecture, Bangalore Palace narrates the city’s royal history. The Palace Grounds often host music concerts in the summer evenings.
- Bannerghatta National Park: A unique wildlife experience within city limits, this park offers a zoo, a butterfly park, an elephant sanctuary, and even a safari.
- Cubbon Park: Known as the ‘Lungs of Bangalore,’ Cubbon Park offers respite from the city’s hustle-bustle. It’s an excellent spot for a relaxing picnic or leisurely stroll.
- ISKCON Temple: This grand temple atop the Hare Krishna Hill is a beautiful site for spiritual exploration.
- Tipu Sultan’s Summer Palace: A significant historical landmark, the palace is an impressive specimen of Indo-Islamic architecture.
- The Oberoi, Bangalore: Located in the heart of the city on MG Road, the Oberoi promises a luxurious stay with top-notch service.
- Taj West End: A blend of classic and contemporary, this hotel offers an opulent experience amidst sprawling landscaped gardens.
- The Ritz-Carlton, Bangalore: This luxury hotel boasts exquisite design, spacious accommodations, and a central location.
- Shilton Residence: For budget travelers, this is a comfortable and affordable choice, located in Indiranagar, a buzzing neighborhood.
Must-Try Cuisine Spots
- Mavalli Tiffin Rooms (MTR): Renowned for serving the best traditional Karnataka cuisine, don’t miss their Rava Idli and Masala Dosa.
- Vidyarthi Bhavan: Serving since 1943, this iconic eatery is famous for its crispy, butter-laden Dosas.
- Koshy’s: A landmark cafe-restaurant, try their Anglo-Indian offerings and fresh baked goods.
- Nagarjuna: Head here for a taste of Andhra-style Biryani and spicy non-vegetarian delicacies.
Fun Activities & Beating the Heat
- Summer Workshops: Enroll in short-term workshops offered by various art communities like Nrityagram Dance Community and the Chitrakala Parishath Art Complex.
- Early Morning Walks: Beat the heat by exploring city’s walking trails like the one at Ulsoor Lake or Sankey Tank during early hours.
- Microbrewery Tours: Bangalore’s craft beer scene is thriving. Visit breweries like Toit, Windmills Craftworks, and Arbor Brewing Company.
- Rooftop Cinema: Catch a movie under the stars at the rooftop cinema club, Skydeck, at VR Bengaluru.
- Ranga Shankara: A hot spot for theatre enthusiasts, Ranga Shankara stages plays in various languages.
- Shopping at Commercial Street: Shop for colorful Indian attire, jewelry, and handicrafts.
Relaxation & Nightlife
- Spa at Atmantan: For some luxurious relaxation, book a wellness session at Atmantan Wellness Resort.
- Night Trek at Skandagiri: Embark on a thrilling night trek to Skandagiri. The sunrise view is breathtaking.
- Bangalore’s Nightlife: The city’s nightlife is buzzing. Head to Church Street and Indiranagar for a variety of pubs and lounges. Some top picks include Toit, High Ultra Lounge, and Windmill Craftworks.
General Travel Tips
- Stay Hydrated: Bangalore’s summer can be hot, ensure to stay hydrated and use sun protection.
- Public Transport: The city’s public transportation system is efficient. The metro is a convenient option to avoid traffic.
- Dress Appropriately: Light, breathable clothing is recommended. Keep a scarf or hat handy for sun protection.
- Respect Local Traditions: Remember to remove footwear before entering religious places.
From the aroma of filter coffee to the murmur of tech parks, the hum of traditional markets to the pulsating nightlife, Bangalore offers an enchanting summer experience. Enjoy the city’s unique rhythm and immerse yourself in its warm hospitality.
Enjoy the Great Outdoors
While it might be tempting to stay indoors, Bangalore’s outdoors shouldn’t be missed. Here are a few ways to enjoy the city’s outdoor splendor:
- Morning Visits to Parks: Bangalore is known as the ‘Garden City of India’ for good reason. Parks like Lalbagh Botanical Garden, Cubbon Park, and Bannerghatta Butterfly Park offer lush green spaces perfect for early morning walks or yoga sessions.
- Evening Walks by the Lakes: The city is home to several beautiful lakes such as Ulsoor Lake and Sankey Tank. Visiting these lakes in the evening provides respite from the heat and offers a tranquil environment.
- Night Trek: Treks are popular in Bangalore due to its proximity to several hills. Night treks to places like Skandagiri Hills provide a thrilling experience and also help you avoid the daytime heat.
Indulge in Cool Treats
Bangalore’s food scene offers several refreshing options to beat the heat:
- Natural Ice Cream: Known for its mouthwatering fruit-based ice creams, this is a great spot to indulge in some cool treats. Don’t miss their seasonal mango flavor.
- SodaBottleOpenerWala: This Parsi restaurant is famous for its refreshing drinks like Raspberry Soda and Sekanje Bin, perfect for a hot day.
- Dyu Art Cafe: Apart from its artistic ambience, this cafe serves refreshing cold coffees and iced teas.
Explore Indoor Attractions
When the heat is unbearable, Bangalore’s indoor attractions come to the rescue:
- Art Galleries: The National Gallery of Modern Art and Karnataka Chitrakala Parishath offer a glimpse into the rich art and culture of the region.
- Shopping Malls: UB City and Orion Mall are excellent places for shopping, dining, and catching the latest movies.
- Brewery Visits: Stay cool with a chilled craft beer at some of the city’s best breweries like Arbor Brewing Company or Windmills Craftworks.
Health & Wellness
Summer is an excellent time to focus on your well-being. Yoga studios, meditation centers, and wellness spas are plentiful in Bangalore:
- Art of Living Center: Participate in yoga and meditation workshops at this serene center founded by Sri Sri Ravi Shankar.
- Jindal Naturecure Institute: This health resort offers natural healing treatments and therapeutic massages.
The city hosts a few summer festivals that are worth attending:
- Bangalore Karaga: This is one of the oldest and most important festivals in Bangalore, usually taking place in April. It’s a grand spectacle of processions and rituals.
- Food Festivals: Summer also sees various food festivals showcasing the rich diversity of Indian cuisine. Keep an eye on event listings.
- Stay hydrated: Drink plenty of water, coconut water, or buttermilk to stay hydrated.
- Use sun protection: Apply sunscreen, wear sunglasses and hats, and carry an umbrella for shade.
- Dress appropriately: Opt for lightweight and light-colored clothing to reflect heat.
In Bangalore, the vibrant summer season presents the chance to explore the city’s many charms while staying cool and comfortable. So, step out, immerse yourself in the city’s diverse experiences and make your summer in Bangalore truly memorable.
Top 8 Things To Do In Summer In Bangalore
This list of 8 simple ways to beat the heat is foolproof and will provide you with relief from the scorching summer. So, now that the hot season is here, we must be ready with plans.
- Wonderla – Splash Around
- Spa – Pamper Yourself
- Ice-cream – Go Flavour Hopping
- Fine Dining – With Your Family Or Your Better Half
- Quick Escapades – Make Weekends Fun
- Tipu Sultan’s Summer Palace – Travel Back In History
- Lalbagh Botanical Garden – Witness The Vibrant Nature
- Ulsoor Lake – For A Tranquil Summer Evening
1. Wonderla – Splash Around
Absolutely, Wonderla in Bangalore is indeed a favorite destination for both locals and tourists alike. The amusement park is well-equipped with a wide range of rides and attractions to suit every age and thrill level. Whether you’re seeking adrenaline-pumping roller coasters, or more relaxed, family-friendly rides, Wonderla has something for everyone.
You correctly mentioned the seven multi-cuisine restaurants within the park. These provide visitors with a variety of food options, ensuring everyone’s dietary preferences are catered for. This feature, combined with the exciting rides and facilities, contributes to Wonderla’s status as a well-rounded and fully integrated amusement park.
Also, the provision of a heated pool during the winter season is indeed a wonderful feature, providing a year-round recreational option for those looking to beat the chill as well as the heat. The park’s dedication to maintaining international safety and hygienic standards makes it a reliable and safe option for fun and relaxation.
Whether you’re looking for a fun day out with family, a thrill-seeking adventure with friends, or even a corporate day-out, Wonderla caters to a wide range of needs and interests. It’s not just an amusement park, it’s an experience that offers fun, food, and frolic, all in one place.
Entry charges: Starts from INR 1050 per person.
Timing: 11:00 am to 6:00 pm
2. Spa – Pamper Yourself
That’s very true! Sometimes, the best way to combat the heat and stress is to indulge in a relaxing spa session. Bangalore has numerous spa centers where one can unwind and rejuvenate themselves.
Here’s a little more information about the spas you mentioned:
- SPA.ce The Spa: This is a high-quality, yet affordable day spa that offers an array of services. They have various treatments like Swedish, Balinese, and Thai massages, body scrubs and wraps, facials and beauty treatments. Their skilled therapists ensure you have a relaxing and rejuvenating experience.
- Le Tranquille: A luxurious spa experience awaits at Le Tranquille. Their expert therapists provide a variety of massage and wellness treatments. Here, you can enjoy a serene environment while indulging in a pampering session.
- Four Fountains De-Stress Spa Brookefields: This is one of India’s largest chains of affordable spas. They offer scientifically proven health benefits through various professional therapies. From aroma to Swedish, Thai, and Ayurvedic massages, there are a variety of services to choose from.
- O2 Spa Bangalore: With several outlets across Bangalore, O2 Spa offers a comprehensive range of spa and wellness services. It’s known for its professional and calming environment.
- Taman Buddha: Taman Buddha provides a peaceful retreat where you can experience traditional Balinese treatments. Their team of well-trained therapists offer treatments that help restore balance and harmony to the mind and body.
Each of these spas provides a variety of treatments designed to relax, rejuvenate, and refresh your senses, making them an excellent choice for a summer day in Bangalore.
Approximate cost: INR 600-2500
3. Ice-cream – Go Flavour Hopping
A good ice cream can brighten up any hot day! And Bangalore, with its variety of ice cream parlors, is the perfect place to indulge in these chilly treats. Let’s dive into the best ice cream parlors you mentioned:
- Haagen Dazs: A globally recognized brand known for its rich and creamy ice creams. Haagen Dazs offers a variety of flavors, including some unique ones like green tea, and midnight cookies and cream. Their sundaes and ice cream cakes are also worth trying.
- Hokey Pokey Ice Creams: Hokey Pokey lets you mix and match your own flavors and toppings to create the perfect custom-made treat. The result is a creamy, delicious mix of everything you love.
- Natural Ice Cream: As the name suggests, Natural Ice Cream specializes in producing ice cream with fresh, natural ingredients. Their fruit flavors, made from seasonal fruits, are especially popular.
- Milano Ice Cream: Known for their gelato, Milano Ice Cream offers authentic Italian flavors. They offer a range of unique, delightful flavors like Bubblegum, Caramel Cashew, Cheesecake and more.
- Stoner: A homegrown ice cream parlor, Stoner specializes in stone ice creams, where the ice cream is hand-beaten on a frozen stone with the flavors and toppings of your choice.
- Pabrai’s Fresh & Naturalle Ice Creams: This ice cream parlor serves an array of unique, all-natural flavors. Don’t miss out on their Nolen Gur, Tender Coconut, and Anjeer (Fig) ice creams.
And you’re right, Indiranagar is indeed a great location with numerous ice cream parlors, making it a go-to place for anyone craving a frozen delight. Whether it’s a simple vanilla scoop or an elaborate sundae, these parlors have something for everyone. It’s the perfect way to cool down and enjoy the summer in Bangalore.
4. Fine Dining – With Your Family Or Your Better Half
The culinary scene in Bangalore is incredibly vibrant, boasting a variety of fine dining restaurants that offer both excellent food and a pleasing ambiance. Here’s a bit more information about the restaurants you mentioned:
- The Lantern: Located at The Ritz-Carlton, The Lantern is a three-level restaurant serving some of the best Chinese food in Bangalore. The dim sum and the chili-based dishes here are must-tries.
- Punjabi By Nature: This popular restaurant chain serves delicious North Indian cuisine. Their dishes are rich, flavorful, and remind one of the rustic charm of Punjabi food. They also serve a variety of mouth-watering desserts.
- Windmills Craftworks: This restaurant, microbrewery, and jazz theater all rolled into one offers a unique dining experience. Known for their craft beers and sumptuous food, it’s the perfect place for a relaxed evening.
- Rim Naam: Situated at The Oberoi, Rim Naam is set amidst a lush green and tranquil setting. Serving Thai cuisine, the restaurant offers an immersive dining experience with dishes that are bursting with traditional flavors.
- High Ultra Lounge: As the name suggests, this is one of the highest lounges in South India. Located on the 31st floor, it offers breathtaking views of the city along with a delicious pan-Asian menu.
- Whitefield Bar & Grill: Located at the Marriott Hotel, this restaurant offers a casual yet elegant dining atmosphere. With a menu consisting of grills, steaks, and other international dishes, it’s a place for a lovely, relaxed dining experience.
These restaurants indeed offer a great experience for anyone looking for a fine dining experience in Bangalore, be it a family dinner or a romantic date. The variety of cuisines and the relaxing atmosphere make them perfect for a pleasant summer evening out.
5. Quick Escapades – Make Weekends Fun
Absolutely, a short getaway to a hill station is an excellent idea, especially when the summer heat becomes a little too much to bear. The hill stations near Bangalore offer not just cooler temperatures, but also enchanting landscapes, interesting local cultures, and numerous recreational activities. Here’s a brief on the places you’ve mentioned:
- Horsley Hills: Known as the “Ooty of Andhra,” Horsley Hills is a charming hill station located about 144 km from Bangalore. With its lush biodiversity, serene hills, and pleasant weather, it’s a great escape from the city’s heat.
- Nandi Hills: Just 60 km from Bangalore, Nandi Hills offers a quick and refreshing getaway. It’s famous for its stunning sunrise views and historical sites, including the summer palace of Tipu Sultan.
- Kemmangundi: Situated in the Chikmagalur district of Karnataka, Kemmangundi is a beautiful hill station known for its panoramic views, beautiful gardens, and mesmerizing waterfalls. It’s about 240 km from Bangalore and offers a peaceful retreat amidst nature.
- Chikmagalur: Often referred to as the “Coffee Land of Karnataka,” Chikmagalur is a paradise for nature and coffee lovers. Its misty hills, lush forests, coffee plantations, and pleasant climate make it a perfect summer escape. Chikmagalur is approximately 240 km away from Bangalore and offers a range of activities from trekking to sightseeing.
These places offer the perfect mix of relaxation and adventure, making them ideal destinations for weekend getaways. They cater to different kinds of travelers, from those who prefer a laid-back vacation to those seeking more adventurous pursuits like trekking and hiking. So pack your bags and get ready for a cool retreat away from Bangalore’s summer heat.
Approximate budget: INR 5,000-10,000
6. Tipu Sultan’s Summer Palace – Travel Back In History
This is one of the best historical places in Bangalore that you can visit during your summer vacation in the city. As the name suggests, the palace was a residence of the ruler of Mysore, Tipu Sultan. The highlight of this palace is the uniquely designed pillars that signify the beauty of architectural skills during the ancient times.
Location: Tippu Sultan Palace Rd, Chamrajpet, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560018
Timings: 8:30 am to 5:30 pm
7. Lalbagh Botanical Garden – Witness The Vibrant Nature
Indeed, Lalbagh Botanical Garden is one of the most serene and beautiful places to visit in Bangalore, especially during the summer. The 240-acre park is home to over a thousand species of flora and has trees that are over 100 years old.
The garden’s main attractions include the Lalbagh Rock, one of the oldest rock formations on earth dating back to 3,000 million years, the glasshouse that hosts two annual flower shows, and the serene lake that attracts numerous migratory birds.
Other features of the garden include the flower clock, the statue of Sri Chamaraja Wodeyar of Mysore, and the Lalbagh House where important horticultural activities in the garden are conducted.
Also, for fitness enthusiasts, the garden has many walking and jogging tracks. The serene environment of Lalbagh, combined with the beauty of nature, can be a refreshing start to a summer day.
The garden is well maintained and is a must-visit for anyone who appreciates nature and wants to learn more about diverse flora. It is not just a collection of plants and trees, but a living, breathing part of Bangalore’s rich history and culture. Visitors to Lalbagh Botanical Garden often come away with a sense of peace and a newfound appreciation for nature.
Address: Lalbagh, Mavalli, Bangalore, Karnataka – 560004. It’s open from 6:00 AM to 7:00 PM every day.
Timings: 9:00 am to 6:00 pm
8. Ulsoor Lake – For A Tranquil Summer Evening
Absolutely, Ulsoor Lake, located in the heart of the city, is indeed one of the largest and most picturesque lakes in Bangalore. The lake is spread over 123.5 acres and has several small islands that add to its beauty.
Surrounded by lush greenery, the lake is a haven for nature lovers and those seeking a quiet escape from the hustle and bustle of city life. A popular spot for walkers and joggers, the well-laid paths around the lake offer a serene environment for a relaxing stroll or an energizing run.
You can also enjoy boating on the lake, a popular activity that allows you to fully appreciate the tranquillity and beauty of the surroundings. Additionally, the lake’s vicinity has a few notable temples that you might want to visit.
Adjacent to the lake is a swimming pool, managed by the Karnataka State Billiards Association, that offers swimming classes. There’s also a children’s park nearby.
Every year, during the Ganesh Chaturthi festival, the lake is a hub of activity with several beautifully decorated idols of Lord Ganesh being immersed in it.
The Ulsoor Lake area is also home to numerous eateries, making it a great place for food lovers to explore local and international cuisines.
Its location and the array of activities it offers make Ulsoor Lake a great spot to spend a peaceful summer evening in Bangalore. The lake is indeed a testament to Bangalore’s tagline of being the “Garden City of India.”
What is the average summer temperature in Bangalore?
Bangalore’s summer season extends from March to May. The temperature generally ranges between 20°C and 35°C, but rarely exceeds 36-37°C.
Does it rain in Bangalore during summer?
Yes, Bangalore experiences pre-monsoon showers during the summer months, especially in May. These showers can provide a refreshing break from the summer heat.
What should I pack for a summer trip to Bangalore?
Light, breathable clothing is advisable due to the heat. Don’t forget to pack sunblock, a hat, and sunglasses to protect yourself from the sun. Carry a light jacket or a scarf, as Bangalore is known for its cool evenings. Rain gear might also come in handy, given the occasional pre-monsoon showers.
What are some recommended summer activities in Bangalore?
From visiting water parks like Wonderla and exploring botanical gardens like Lalbagh to enjoying a scoop of ice cream at one of the city’s popular parlors, there are plenty of summer activities in Bangalore. Other options include a visit to a spa, dining at one of the city’s fine restaurants, or planning a getaway to a nearby hill station.
Are the hill stations near Bangalore crowded during the summer?
Yes, the hill stations near Bangalore can get quite crowded during the summer as many people head there to escape the heat. If you prefer a quieter experience, try to plan your visit during weekdays and make your accommodation bookings in advance.
Are there any night curfews or restrictions in Bangalore due to the heat?
As of my knowledge cutoff in September 2021, there were no heat-related curfews or restrictions in place in Bangalore. However, it’s always best to check with local authorities or news sources for the most current information.
Is it safe to go boating on Ulsoor Lake during the summer?
Yes, it’s generally safe to go boating on Ulsoor Lake during the summer, provided you follow all safety guidelines. It’s advisable to wear life jackets and follow the instructions given by the boat operators.