Phillip Adams was an American former professional football player. A cornerback, Adams was drafted by the San Francisco 49ers in the 2010 NFL Draft. He later played for the New England Patriots, Oakland Raiders, Seattle Seahawks, New York Jets, Atlanta Falcons. Adams did not have much successful NFL career, as he played only 6 seasons in the NFL. He last played in NFL for the Atlanta Falcons in 2015. He played college football for the South Carolina State Bulldogs and was a Fist-team All-MEAC honoree. He recorded 128 tackles, 15 pass deflections, 5 interceptions, and 1 forced fumble in his NFL career.
Adams was out of the limelight for a long time until he made headlines in April 2021 and it was not good news. Adams shot and killed 5 people and seriously injured one person in Rock Hill, termed as 2021 Rock Hill Shooting. A day after the shooting, Adams shot and killed himself. More details about Adams’ football career, shooting incident, and his death are discussed below.
What is Phillip Adams Famous For?
- Former NFL cornerback.
- Shot and killed 5 people and killed himself in April 2021.
Where is Phillip Adams from?
Phillip Adams was born on 20 July 1988. His birth name is Phillip M. Adams. His birth place is Rock Hill, South Carolina. He grew up in Rock Hill. He was born to his father, Alonzo Adams. Information about his mother, siblings, and early life is not available at present. He belonged to African-American ethnicity and his religion was Christianity. He has a sister named Lauren.
Adams attended Rock Hill High School, where he started playing football. After graduating from high school, he committed to play college football at the South Carolina State University. In his senior year, he recorded 48 tackles and 3 interceptions for the Bulldogs. He earned First-Team All-MEAC honors in 2009. After graduating from SCSU, he entered the 2010 NFL Draft.
Phillip Adams NFL Career
- San Francisco 49ers selected cornerback Adams in the 7th round of the 2010 NFL Draft.
- In his rookie and only season with the 49ers, he played 15 games in the 2010 NFL season. He recorded 13 tackles (9 solo) and 1 pass deflections.
- He broke his left ankle in Week 16 game against the St. Louis Rams. He underwent surgery which included several screws being inserted into his leg.
- The 49ers released Adams in September 2011.
- The New England Patriots signed Adams in September 2011.
- The Patriots waived and re-signed Adams twice in October 2011.
- Adams recorded his first interception in the NFL on 21 November 2011.
- The Patriots waived Adams in the same month.
- He recorded 8 tackles, 1 interception, and 1 pass deflection for the Patriots.
- The Seattle Seahawks signed Adams in December 2011.
- He made only 1 appearance for the Seahawks before being released in August 2012.
- The Oakland Raiders signed Adams in September 2012.
- In the 2012 season, Adams recorded 15 tackles (13 solo), 2 interceptions, and 5 pass deflections in 15 games for the Raiders.
- The Raiders placed Adams on the injured reserve list in December 2012. The Raiders re-signed Adams as a restricted free agent in March 2013.
- In the 2013 season, he recorded 30 tackles (26 solo), 1 forced fumble, and 1 pass deflection for the Raiders.
- He was released after the 2013 season.
- The Seahawks re-signed Adams in March 2014. However, he was let go following his struggles in training camp.
- The New York Jets signed Adams in September 2014.
- In his only season for the Jets, Adams recorded 24 tackles (21 solo), 1 interception, and 3 pass deflections in 12 games.
- The Jets released Adams and was signed by the Atlanta Falcons in March 2015.
- Adams played 13 games for the Falcons in the 2015 season and recorded 38 tackles (32 solo), 1 forced fumble, 1 interception, and 4 pass deflections.
- He was released after the 2015 season.
- He had an unsuccessful workout with the Kansas City Chiefs in 2016.
- His football career was almost over since then. He never returned to football.
Phillip Adams Death: 2021 Rock Hill Shooting
Phillip Adams was away from the limelight since he stopped playing football. Adams shot 6 people at a house in Rock Hill, South Carolina on 7 April 2021. 5 of them including Dr. Robert Lesslie, his wife, and two grandchildren died. One of them was seriously injured. An initial investigation took no time to identify Adams as the prime suspect. Adams shot himself following a standoff with police officers on the next day on 8 April 2021.
Phillip Adams Wife
Phillip Adams was in the limelight while he was an active NFL player. He remained away from the spotlight after his NFL career unofficially ended. Thus, it is less known about his personal life. It is not clear whether Adams was married or not. More details about his family, children and personal life will be updated soon.
Phillip Adams Height
The former cornerback Phillip Adams stood at a height of 1.8 m i.e. 5 feet and 11 inches tall. He had a body weight of around 195 lbs i.e. 88 kg. He had an athletic body build. His sexual orientation was straight.
Adams had an average NFL career. Being drafted in the 7th round in the 2010 NFL Draft, he played for several NFL teams. However, a series of injuries majorly affected Adams’ football career. He faded away just after 6 seasons in the NFL. Information about Phillip Adams’ salary and net worth is not available at present.