Cute / affectionate nicknames, also called pet names, are often used in relationships to show intimacy. They are just as important in a normal relationship as in a long distance relationship.
Calling your mate by a cute nickname can annoy other people, but don’t worry. Researchers say this is a sign that you both have a very healthy and solid relationship.
- A higher level of privacy – I think that goes without saying. Calling animal names rather than real names seems closer to you because these are the names that only two of you can use to address each other. It creates a feeling of uniqueness.
- Create a border / exclusivity – It’s according to the book How to improve your marriage without talking about it. It is a way of identifying the relationship as exclusive because when the people around you hear your cute conversation, they know that you are committed to each other. I know this kind of situation does not happen very often in the context of a long distance relationship, but two of you may still feel the feeling of exclusivity. Once you physically meet after a while, the feeling will explode and two of you will be confined to your world together. This is what happened to me. When I finally got the chance to find my girlfriend after a long time, we couldn’t disturb what was going on around us. We totally focus on each other. It doesn’t really happen because of animal names, but animal names will definitely make it sweeter. The sense of exclusivity is especially important when you send a message or call your distant lover when two of you are separated.
- Warning signs – When two of you start to call each other using animal names, it is an obvious sign when she suddenly calls you by your real name. This can mean two things. First of all, it is because she is mad at you about something. Second, she jokes and plays with you. The former is more likely to occur. You will have to decipher it by tone and context yourself.
- About awkwardness – I know it’s a little annoying and you can feel shy when you call your partner by the new nickname. Don’t worry, it’s perfectly normal and I’ve already experienced it. It’s like awkwardness when you mean “I love you” for the first time. Say it as normally as possible and continue for a few days. Both of you will get used to it. Then you will feel weird if you don’t use the nickname suddenly.
- Talk to your lover at the start of each conversation – Bad example: “What are you doing?” Good example: “Baby, what are you doing?” Call it on behalf of your pet before a sentence makes a big difference. It seems much more intimate.
- Respect each other – Remember to respect your lover at all times. Don’t call names of animals they don’t like. The advice is that you can start calling your lover the names of the animals you love. This will generate more conversations about it. It is obvious from the conversation if he likes the name of the animal. If you feel like your partner doesn’t like it, just try another one next time. Another method is to ask your partner directly if you can use this pet name on him. Normally, your partner will like all the names you name it. Fair… Do not be shy!
by Jerry Huang