Juventus striker Paulo Dybala still COVID-19 positive after six weeks
“He is fine now, he has no symptoms and is even training. Now he is waiting for the results of the last two samples,” said the source.
“Dybala must respect the health care system and respect the time it takes. He is a footballer and does not benefit from preferential treatment.”
Dybala underwent a total of four tests. The first two tests returned positive but are currently awaiting the results of the third and fourth tests.
It is not known when each of the Dybala tests took place.
A Juventus spokesperson told CNN, “Dybala is always positive and when it is negative, it will be communicated.”
Dybala announced for the first time on Instagram on Saturday March 21 that he and his girlfriend Oriana Sabatini had tested positive after his first test.
“Now I can move better, walk and try to work out. I could barely breathe, I couldn’t do anything after five minutes. My muscles were aching. Fortunately, Oriana and I are getting better now.”
The club announced earlier this month that Rugani and Matuidi had fully recovered after their swab tests returned with negative results.
“At the moment, there are no studies that assess the antibody response with respect to immunity, so we cannot say that an antibody response means that someone is immune,” said Dr Maria van Kerkhove, technical manager of the coronavirus response with the WHO.
“Saying there is no evidence in this area does not mean that there is no immunity, it just means that these studies have not yet been done,” added Van Kerkhove.
Slowly on the way back
New measures will come into effect on May 4, such as easing travel restrictions, increased access to parks and gardens, and the ability to organize funerals with up to 15 participants.
The manufacturing and construction sectors will fully reopen, while bars and restaurants will be allowed to offer take-out services.
Conte also announced that on May 18 new restrictions – such as the return of sports teams to training and the reopening of museums and libraries – would also be lifted.
However, Italian Sports Minister Vincenzo Spadafora said he saw “an increasingly narrow path for the resumption of Serie A.”
“If I were one of the (club) presidents, I would focus on next season,” Spadafora told the private TV station La7.
As France canceled its 2019/2020 football season on Tuesday, the English Premier League and the German Bundesliga are exploring ways to try to end the current campaign, although Dybala’s case potential raises other questions for the big European leagues.
“My proposal is, if possible, to avoid playing competitive football in the weeks to come,” FIFA medical commission chairman Michel d’Hooghe told BBC Sport. “Try to be ready for the start of a good competition next season.”