Jodie Foster is an American actress, director, and producer, who is well recognized for her popular starring roles in award-winning movies, “Taxi Driver”(1976), “The Accused”(1988), and “The Silence of the Lambs”(1991). For her role in “The Accused” and “The Silence of the Lambs”, she won her very first two Academy Awards along with several other awards.
Having made her acting debut with the television sitcom, “Mayberry R.F.D.” in 1968, Foster has managed to come a long way up becoming one of the prominent and popular actresses of all time. In her career run of over 50 years, she has appeared in several genre movies and shows including “Maverick”(1994), “Contact”(1997), “Anna and the King”(1999), “Panic Room”(2002), “Inside Man”(2006), and “The Beaver”(2011).
Apart from being an actress, Foster is also a director and producer who made her debut as a film director with “Little Man Tate” in 1991 later founding her own production company, “Egg Pictures” in 1992. For her contribution to Hollywood, she has also been inducted into the Hollywood Walk of Fame and was even named the most beautiful woman in the world in 1992.
Also, the fact that she doesn’t have any official social media accounts.
What is Jodie Foster Famous for?
- Famous as an Academy award-winning actress.
- Known for her role in “The Accused” and “The Silence of the Lambs”.
Where is Jodie Foster From?
Jodie Foster was born on November 19, 1962, in Los Angeles, California, United States. Her birth name is Alicia Christian Foster. Her nationality is American. Foster belongs to White ethnicity and is of German and Irish heritage while Scorpio is her zodiac sign.
Jodie Foster was born as the youngest child of her well-to-do parents; Evelyn Ella(mother) and Lucius Fisher Foster III(father). Her father, Lucius was a U.S. Air Force lieutenant colonel who later turned into a real estate broker whilst, her mother, Evenly worked as a publicist for film producer Arthur P. Jacobs. Her parents however ended their relationship even before Foster was born as her father left her mom whilst she was pregnant.
Jodie was raised along with her full siblings, Lucinda(born 1954), Constance(born 1955), and Lucius”Buddy” (born 1957), in her hometown by her mother and her partner. Also, the fact that Jodie has three half-brothers from her father’s earlier marriage.
She attended a French-language prep school, the Lycée Français de Los Angeles, where she learned French making her more fluent in French and English. After her graduation from the school in 1980, she attended Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut, where she majored in African-American literature along with a magna cum laude degree in 1985.
Almost more than a decade later, she returned to the university in 1993 to address the graduating class and even was awarded an honorary Doctor of Fine Arts degree in 1997.
Jodie Foster’s Career Highlights
- Jodie Foster started off her career at the early age of 3 when she appeared in a Coppertone television advertisement in 1965.
- Three years later at age of 6, she made her acting debut in the television sitcom, “Mayberry R.F.D.” in 1968.
- She then had recurring roles in “The Courtship of Eddie’s Father”(1969–1971) and “Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice”(1973).
- She made her feature film debut in the adventure drama film, “Napoleon and Samantha”(1972).
- Her early films include; “Kansas City Bomber”, “One Little Indian”, “Tom Sawyer”, and “Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore”.
- She made her debut in music in France which were used as soundtracks for her French movie, “Moi, fluer bleue'” in 1977.
- She was cast in the role of a child prostitute in “Taxi Driver”(1976) for which she was even nominated for a supporting role.
- Her other roles as a teenager include the musical “Bugsy Malone” and the thriller, “The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane” both in 1976.
- She then went on to star in other popular films; “Freaky Friday”, “Candleshoe”, “Carny” and “Foxes”. Her roles in the movies earned her to become a popular teen idol back then.
- She got one of her biggest breakthroughs with her performance as a rape survivor in the drama film, “The Accused”(1988). The movie was a huge success earning her her very first Academy Award along with the Gloden Globe award.
- It was followed by another successful movie, “The Silence of the Lambs” where she starred as FBI trainee Clarice Starling in 1991. It earned her her second Academy Award.
- The same year in 1991, Foster made her directorial debut with “Little Man Tate”.
- A year later, she founded her own production company, “Egg Pictures” in 1992.
- Her other appeared movies include “Shadows and Fog”(1991), “Sommersby(1993)”, “Maverick (1994)”, “Nell (1994)”, “Contact”(1997), and “Anna and the King”(1999).
- She directed and produced for Egg Pictures a comedy-drama film, “Home for the Holidays” in 1995.
- She starred in four commercially successful thrillers in the early 2000s: “Panic Room”(2002), “Flightplan”(2005), “Inside Man”(2006), and “The Brave One”(2007).
- She also has directed a number of films; “The Beaver”(2011) and “Money Monster”(2016), as well as episodes for Netflix television series Orange Is the New Black, House of Cards, and Black Mirror.
- She also starred in the films Carnage (2011), Elysium (2013), and Hotel Artemis (2018).
- Her recent work includes her portrayal of the lawyer of a prisoner Tahar Rahim in the legal drama, “The Mauritanian”(2021). It earned her a Golden Globe award as well.
Awards and Honors
- 2 Academy Awards
- 3 British Academy Film Awards
- 3 Golden Globe Awards
- Received the honorary Cecil B. DeMille Award
- Received the Laura Ziskin Lifetime Achievement Award
- In honor of her, Asteroid 17744 Jodiefoster is named after her.
- Crystal Award; awarded annually for women in the entertainment industry
- Berlinale Camera at the 46th Berlin International Film Festival.
- Inducted into the Hollywood Walk of Fame with a motion pictures star located at 6927 Hollywood Boulevard.
Jodie Foster’s Wife and Children
Jodie Foster has been married for just once to date. She was previously in a relationship with Cydney Bernard. Bernard is an American production co-ordinator whom she met while they were working on the set of “Sommersby” in 1993. Shortly after they began dating each other which lasted for almost 15 years till 2008.
They even had two sons; Charles ‘Charlie’ Foster and Christopher ‘Kit’ Foster together whilst in a relationship. She has come out openly as a lesbian and has been supporting the LGBT community for years that her first marriage is even with Alexandra Hedison. Hedison is an American photographer, director, and actor, whom Foster got married after dating a year only in 2014.
Since then Foster and Hedison have been living a happy and luxurious lifestyle. Also back in 1991, her sexual orientation became the subject of public discussion as there was suspicion of her being gay or lesbian until she spoke clearly about being a lesbian in 2016.
Jodie Foster’s Net Worth
Jodie Foster has quite good earnings from her professional career as an actress. Having her career started in the year 1965 at the early age of 3, Foster has managed to come a long way up becoming one of the prominent and best actresses of her time in her 50 years long career.
Throughout her career, she has played several characters in several movies and series. Her source is surely her appearances on shows and movies. Her net worth is estimated to be around $100 million. Also, the fact that Foster was paid $15 million to portray Leonowens in “Anna and the King”(1999), making her one of the highest-paid female actors in Hollywood back then.
Jodie Foster’s Height
Jodie Foster is a gorgeous lady with a well-maintained slim body physique in her late 50s. She stands tall with a height of 5ft. 4inch.(1.60m) while her body weighs around 56kg(123 lbs).
Her body measurement is around 34-24-33 inches with 34B as her bra size, 4(US) as her dress size, and 6.5(US) as her shoe size. She has a fair complexion with light brown hair and blue eyes.