How to Watch the Virtual Kentucky Derby 2020
The Kentucky Derby is the oldest continuously organized major sporting event in America. Since its inaugural run on May 17, 1875, the run has taken place continuously at Churchill Downs in Louisville, Kentucky, and has brought us all the mint juleps, oversized hats, and tight calls that our hearts can handle. But this year things will be different. Instead of taking place on the first Saturday in May, the Derby has been postponed to September 5, 2020.
However, that doesn’t mean that you still can’t celebrate. On Saturday, May 2 – the day the race would have taken place – there will be a Kentucky Derby virtual running event. The day will include a virtual tour of Churchill Downs, a film about the history of racing, a fascinating creation session, a virtual fashion contest, and more, all to support the relief of COVID-19.
Icon SportswireGetty Images
The highlight of the event will be a historic “Kentucky Derby: Triple Crown Showdown”, in which each of the 13 horses to have won the Derby, Preakness and Belmont Stakes will participate in a fantastic computer-generated race. For even more festivities, join Country Living magazine for a virtual Kentucky Derby party starting at 11:30 a.m.
What is the “Kentucky Derby: Triple Crown Showdown?”
The Triple Crown Showdown will be an animated race created using computer-generated images and results; the contestants will be the previous 13 Triple Crown winners. Justify, the horse that won the Triple Crown in 2018, is the only horse in this race still alive. Other famous horses that will participate in the race include American Pharoah (the winner in 2015) and Secretariat (1973).
According to the Kentucky Derby website, the winner of the virtual race will be determined by analyzing each of the horses’ past performances and combining this data with the opinions of horse racing experts. This information will be introduced into a computer model which “will determine the final result using these probabilities in conjunction with the generation of random numbers”. It looks like this race, like any other race, will leave a lot to fate.
How to watch the virtual Kentucky Derby 2020?
The “Kentucky Derby: Triple Crown Showdown” will aired on NBC at 5:45 p.m. May 2, 2020. You can also watch the race live on the NBC app on most devices, including iOS, Android, Roku, Amazon Fire, Apple TV, Samsung Smart TV, and XBox One, though you will need to connect by cable.
Don’t have a cable? There are still a few ways to look.
- FuboTV: Fubu costs $ 54 per month for 109 channels. There is a seven-day free trial.
- Hulu + Live TV: If you already have Hulu, this add-on costs $ 55 per month. If you don’t have Hulu, you can start a free one month track now.
- YoutubeTV: Youtube’s $ 50-a-month TV streaming service includes live TV from over 70 channels, as well as local sports and news. There is a two week free trial.
Can I bet on the Kentucky Derby Mock Race?
US law prohibits betting on virtual races. However, you can choose the horse that you think will win the race. If your horse wins, you will be entered into a draw to win a four-day, three-night all-inclusive experience in the Kentucky Derby. To enter and place your “bet”, all you need to do is make a donation here to support COVID-19 relief; registrations close at 5.30 p.m. ET on May 2. Donations will support Team Kentucky Fund and Direct Relief. The Churchill Downs Foundation will match every dollar donated up to $ 1 million.
What are the 2020 Kentucky Derby Virtual Odds?
The secretariat is the favorite in this race, although it has close competitors in Citation, Affirmed and Seattle Slew. Here are the odds for the “Triple Crown Showdown”.
- Asserted; 1978 (5-1)
- Aggression; 1946 (20-1)
- Secretariat; 1973 (7-2)
- Sir Barton; 1919 (20-1)
- Seattle Slew; 1977 (5-1)
- American Pharoah; 2015 (6-1)
- Gallant Fox; 1930 (20-1)
- Quote; 1948 (4-1)
- War Admiral; 1937 (8-1)
- Whirlaway; 1941 (6-1)
- Count Fleet; 1943 (6-1)
- To justify; 2018 (15-1)
- Omaha; 1935 (20-1)
Are there any other Kentucky Derby virtual events?
The officials proposed a full day of programming. Here is the full schedule of Kentucky Derby events online, as well as how to watch them all.
- 9:00 a.m .: Virtual visit of Churchill Downs; LIVE on social media KY Derby
- 10 a.m .: Virtual visit of the Claiborne farm; LIVE on social media KY Derby
- 12 noon: “The Greatest Race” – Kentucky Derby Museum film; KY Derby Social Media
- 12:15 pm: crafts for children from the Kentucky Derby Museum; LIVE on social media KY Derby
- 12:45 p.m .: Triple crown showdown: round table for the disabled; KY Derby Social Media
- 1 m: making DIY trinkets; LIVE on social media KY Derby
- 2 p.m .: Bourbon, horses and history: stories and making cocktails; LIVE on social media KY Derby
- 3 p.m. to 6 p.m .: NBC
- 5 p.m .: Virtual toast; KY Derby Social Media
- 5:15 p.m .: My Old Kentucky Home; KY Derby Social Media
- 5:45 p.m .: Kentucky Derby: Triple Crown Showdown; NBC
- 6 to 8 p.m .: Arkansas Derby; NBCSN