Chicken soup is one of the most common dishes around the world. It has been popular for centuries because of its flavorful and nutritious appeal. The dish is not only delicious but also rich in nutrients. It is considered one of the most effective remedies to cure colds and flu and is a go-to dish for many individuals when they need comfort food. In this article, we will explain how to make chicken soup at home.
Ingredients needed for chicken soup:
1. 1 large onion, finely chopped.
2. 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped.
3. 2 celery sticks, finely chopped.
4. 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped.
5. 1 tsp of dried thyme and oregano.
6. 2 bay leaves.
7. 1 whole chicken.
8. Salt and black pepper to taste.
9. 2 liters of water.
10. Fresh parsley leaves.
Instructions on how to make chicken soup at home:
1. Rinse the whole chicken under the tap for 1-2 minutes.
2. Place the chicken in a large stockpot and fill it with enough water to cover the chicken completely.
3. Add the chopped onion, garlic, celery, carrots, dried thyme, oregano, and bay leaves. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
4. Bring the mixture to boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Let the mixture simmer for about 1 and a half hours or until the chicken is tender and falling off the bone.
5. Use a ladle and remove the chicken from the mixture. Place chicken on a clean plate and shred it using two forks.
6. Remove any bay leaves and discard them.
7. Strain the mixture using a colander or a strainer into a large bowl. This will ensure a clear soup. Discard the vegetables in the colander.
8. Return the strained soup to the stockpot and add the shredded chicken.
9. Adjust the salt and pepper to taste if needed.
10. Serve the soup hot, garnished with fresh parsley leaves.
FAQs about how to make chicken soup:
1. Can I use chicken breasts instead of a whole chicken?
Yes, you can use chicken breasts, but the result may not be as flavorful as using a whole chicken. Whole chickens have more bones, and bones add flavor to the soup.
2. Can I freeze chicken soup?
Yes, you can freeze chicken soup. Just divide the soup into smaller portions and place them in airtight containers before putting them in the freezer. Ensure you leave enough space in the container, allowing the soup to expand during freezing.
3. Can I add other vegetables to the soup?
Yes, you can add other vegetables to the soup. Some of the vegetables that can be added include potatoes, parsnips, and turnips.
4. Can I add noodles to the soup?
Yes, you can add noodles to the soup. If you plan to add noodles, cook them separately and add them to the soup after straining.
In conclusion, chicken soup is a delicious and comforting meal that can be easily made at home. It is also a nutritious meal that provides many health benefits. This article provides detailed instructions on how to make chicken soup from scratch and answers frequently asked questions about the cooking process. With the tips provided in this article, you can make the best homemade chicken soup that will be enjoyed by the whole family.