Butter chicken, also known as Murgh Makhani, is a classic Indian dish that has been enjoyed by people all around the world. It’s a creamy and flavorful dish that is perfect for those who love to indulge in rich and delicious food. This article will provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to make butter chicken at home so you can enjoy this mouth-watering dish anytime you want.
• 1 lb boneless chicken breast, cut into small pieces
• 3 tbsp unsalted butter
• 1 tbsp vegetable oil
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1-inch ginger, grated
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• 1 tsp ground coriander
• 1 tsp paprika
• 1 tsp turmeric
• 1 tsp garam masala
• 1 tsp red chili powder
• ½ cup tomato puree
• 1 cup heavy cream
• 2 tbsp honey
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Chopped cilantro for garnish
1. In a large bowl, marinate the chicken pieces with 1 tsp of salt, ½ tsp of black pepper, and 1 tsp of turmeric for 20 minutes. This will help the chicken absorb the flavors better.
2. In a large frying pan, heat 1 tbsp of vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and fry until golden brown on all sides for about 5 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan and set it aside.
3. In the same pan, add 3 tbsp of unsalted butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté until it turns translucent, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the minced garlic and grated ginger and continue cooking for another minute.
5. Add 1 tsp of ground cumin, 1 tsp of ground coriander, 1 tsp of paprika, 1 tsp of garam masala, and 1 tsp of red chili powder. Stir the spices into the onion mixture and cook for another minute.
6. Add the tomato puree and cook for 2-3 minutes until it becomes slightly thick. Add the chicken pieces back to the pan and stir well.
7. Add 1 cup of heavy cream and 2 tbsp of honey to the pan. Mix well and let the chicken cook in the sauce for another 10 minutes over medium-low heat.
8. Add salt and pepper to taste.
9. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and serve with Naan, rice, or roti.
1. Can I use chicken thighs instead of chicken breast for butter chicken?
Yes, you can use chicken thighs instead of chicken breast. Make sure to remove the skin and bone before cutting them into small pieces.
2. How do I make the butter chicken less spicy?
If you prefer a milder version of butter chicken, reduce the amount of red chili powder and garam masala in the recipe.
3. Can I make butter chicken ahead of time?
Yes, you can. Butter chicken can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat the dish in a pan over low heat before serving.
4. Can I freeze butter chicken?
Yes, you can freeze butter chicken for up to 3 months. Let the dish cool down completely before transferring it into a freezer-safe container. Reheat the dish in a pan over low heat before serving.
5. What should I serve with butter chicken?
Butter chicken can be served with naan, rice, or roti. You can also serve it with a side dish of cucumber salad or raita.