Asparagus is one of the most cherished vegetables when it comes to cooking diverse dishes. It is full of minerals and vitamins, making it an excellent addition to any meal. It is also low in calories, so it is a great way of getting your greens in, without packing on the extra pounds. Asparagus can be prepared in numerous ways, but roasting it in the oven is one of the simplest, tastiest and healthiest methods. In this article, we will explore how to cook asparagus in the oven, step-by-step.
• I pound of asparagus
• 2 tablespoons of olive oil
• A pinch of salt and black pepper
• Grated parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Preheat the oven- The first thing is to preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Prep the asparagus- Take the asparagus and trim about 1-2 inches from the bottom. The bottom part is usually tough and not edible. To ensure even roasting, ensure that they are similar in size. Gently rinse the asparagus and pat them dry with a paper towel.
3. Drizzle with olive oil- Take a baking sheet, and line it with parchment paper. Place the asparagus on the baking sheet, then drizzle the olive oil over the asparagus. Use your hands or a cooking brush to ensure that all the asparagus is coated with oil.
4. Season with salt and black pepper- Sprinkle the asparagus with a pinch of salt and black pepper. You can be as generous with the pepper, as you wish.
5. Roast – Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake the asparagus for about 15 minutes—this time depends on the thickness of your asparagus, so keep an eye on them. You can use a fork to test whether they’re cooked to your desired tenderness. If they are not yet tender enough, add more cooking time and perform regular checks to ensure that they don’t overcook.
6. Top with Parmesan cheese- Once cooked to your desired tenderness, sprinkle the asparagus with grated parmesan cheese (optional).
7. Serve – You can serve the roasted asparagus immediately. You can also add it to a salad, pizza, pasta, or you can use it to make asparagus risotto.
What should I look for when buying asparagus?
Look for asparagus that is firm, has a bright green color (or purple if you prefer the purple variety), and has tightly closed tips. Choose asparagus spears that are of equal thickness to ensure even roasting.
Do I have to peel asparagus before roasting?
No, you don’t need to peel asparagus before roasting.
Can I use a different oil instead of olive oil?
Yes, you can use another oil. Avocado oil, grapeseed oil, or vegetable oil works well.
What other seasonings can I use?
You can use other seasonings such as garlic powder, onion powder, lemon juice, or balsamic glaze.
What is the best way to store asparagus?
The best way to store it is to wrap the asparagus in a damp paper towel before storing it in a plastic bag in the fridge. It can last for up to 4 days when stored correctly.
How long does it take for asparagus to roast in the oven?
It takes about 15 minutes to roast asparagus in the oven at 425°F.
Roasting asparagus in the oven is a simple, healthy, and tasty way of preparing it. By following these simple instructions, you can have perfectly roasted asparagus every time. Add it to a salad, sides, pasta dish, pizza, or as a great addition to other dishes. Remember to keep an eye on it while baking and never hesitate to experiment with flavors to suit your liking.