If you are going on vacation, the biggest challenge you will face will be finding someone who is willing to feed and care for your pet while you are away. So it may be a good idea to tag your pet on your next trip. There are a number of pet-friendly boat rental companies that allow you to bring your pets.
But if you decide to take your dog on a rental sailing adventure that accepts pets, here are some tips you can use:
1. Make sure your dog is well hydrated. Bring lots of water and let your dog drink it every thirty minutes.
2. Give your dog a life jacket. Before leaving on a boat, it is important to ask your boat rental company if they have a life jacket for dogs. Otherwise, you may need to purchase one. Make sure you choose a jacket that fits your dog well.
3. Try to check the boat with your pet before your boat trip. Dogs are generally afraid when you place them in a new environment.
4. It is important to check local boat and dog laws before going on a boat. While countries in general do not ban traveling or sailing with dogs, some cities and states do. It is therefore important to check the local pet laws of your shipping destination before taking your dog with you.
5. Bring an animal-specific first aid kit. Your first aid kit should include the following:
• Animal transporter
• Ice pack
• Latex-free gloves
• Gauze rolls
• Hydrogen peroxide
• Cotton balls
• Antiseptic spray
• Rectal thermometer
• The scissors
• Petroleum jelly
• Nail clipper
• Tongue depressor
• Rubbing alcohol
Also be sure to bring your first aid book, the veterinarian’s phone number and your pet’s papers.
6. Place an animal-friendly sunscreen on your dog. Some dogs need protection from the harmful rays of the sun. So, if your dog is sensitive to the heat of the sun, you should absolutely rub sunscreen before going out on the boat.
7. Place a collar with an identification tag on your dog’s neck. Don’t forget to put your contact details on the label.
8. Create a place where your dog can urinate or poop like puppy towels or a small litter box.
9. If you are traveling outside the country, it is best to get a pet passport before you travel.
10. Make sure your dog does not disturb wildlife.
11. Do not let your dog drink sea or canal water. Make sure your dog drinks clean, sterilized water throughout the trip.
12. Make sure your veterinarian performs a routine examination of your pet before leaving for your trip. You must ensure that your pet’s vaccination is up to date.
The adventure of renting boats with pets is fun and allows you to strengthen your bond with your pet. But, you must first take safety precautions before taking your pet on your next boat trip.
Source by Terence Zweni