These free murder mystery games will make sure you have everything you need to throw a murder mystery dinner or party, without having to spend the usual $20-$75 to buy the party kit that you’ll probably only use once.
These games are good for 6-28 guests, so you should be able to find a great game no matter what the size of your party. Each game includes character descriptions and scripts so your guests will be ready to get into the game. Some of the free games also include free invitations, name tags, props, and more.
Here are some other spooky party games for adults, silly adult party games, New Year’s Eve party games, and escape room party ideas that you may want to incorporate into your murder mystery party.
- Sour Grapes of Wrath: This free murder mystery game includes an almost 70-page file that includes planning instructions, party invitations, costume suggestions, name tags, rules, secret clues, maps, accusation sheets, suspect dossiers, and the solution.
- Free Murder Mystery Game for Tweens: This free murder mystery game is targeted towards kids who are 10-12 year old but I think it would also work well for an adult murder mystery party. This free kit includes a master plot spreadsheet as well as a list of characters. Each guest has it’s very own printable party invitation as well as instructions. Props including a sign and birth certificate are also included for free.
- The Little Engine That Could Kill: This free murder mystery game includes parts for 8 players to figure out who murdered a passenger on the express train from India to Portugal. In-depth profiles are included for each character.
- The Romanian Uranium Mystery: Here’s a very detailed murder mystery game that includes a scripted show, as well as an improved show, that’s set around your dinner party.
- Way Out West: Here’s a free murder mystery game that includes the set-up, characters, script, clues, and more. You’ll need to subscribe to their free newsletter for the complete package.
- Jazz Age Jeopardy: Here’s a murder mystery that’s set in a 1920’s jazz club in New York City. The free PDF file includes an introduction, instructions, party guidebook, character sheets, clue cards, and voting sheets. Up to 15 people can play this one.
- Butler Kicks the Bucket: Download free murder mystery character cards and play the free Butler Kicks the Bucket murder mystery. There are enough cards for up to 15 players.
- Mafia Party Game: A fun detective-style murder mystery game that’s for 7-24 players.
- Murder, She Wrote: This is a free printable that you can use to help Angela Landsbury solve crimes while binging Murder, She Wrote on Netflix. You’ll have to guess who the murder was, the motive, and the details of the killer. This murder mystery game can be played by yourself or with a whole group of friends gathered around the TV.
- The Business of Murder: This murder mystery game has everything you need to throw a very detailed murder mystery. Clues and invitations are all included in one convenient download. This game is for 7-8 players.
- The Movie Murder Mystery Party: Between 8 and 16 players can play this murder mystery game. The setup is that you’re celebrating the completion of a film with your cast and crew but then the director suddenly dies. Lucky for you, he hid lots of clues so you can play this scavenger hunt themed murder mystery. The free download includes the premise, instructions on how to play, character descriptions, clues, scanger hunt items, and ideas for awarding the winner.
- The Terrible Castle of Baron Castaign: This is a survival-themed murder mystery game that will keep you on your toes. You’re invited to a fancy dinner party and all is well until you realize that the castle is haunted. Can you escape or will you meet your fate?