Formula One driver Sergio Perez tests positive for Covid-19 and will miss British Grand Prix

The Mexican was self-isolating from the rest of the paddock on Thursday after a first test came back as “inconclusive”, his Racing Point team said, before a new test confirmed he had the coronavirus.

“With the help of the local British Grand Prix organizer, local health authorities and the FIA ​​COVID-19 delegate, a full tracking and traceability initiative was undertaken and all close contacts were made. in quarantine, “F1 and FIA said in a statement. .

“The procedures established by the FIA ​​and Formula 1 made it possible to quickly contain an incident which will not have a wider impact on this weekend’s event.”

Perez will remain isolated for 10 days, following UK guidelines, which also excludes him from next weekend’s grand prix on the same track.

Racing Point says his “intention is to drive two cars on Sunday” and it has been widely reported that former F1 driver Niko Hulkenberg, who raced for Renault last season, may temporarily take the empty seat on the team.

LILY: Lewis Hamilton clarifies anti-vaccine Instagram post after violent reaction
Sergio Perez will miss the British Grand Prix this weekend.

A deal with Mercedes means Racing Point can also call on Silver Arrows reserve drivers Stoffel Vandoorne and Esteban Gutierrez.

It’s a big blow for Perez who has started the season impressively, currently in sixth place thanks to a vastly improved Racing Point car.

“Sergio is physically in good health and in good spirits, but he will continue to self-isolate as directed by the relevant public health authorities, with safety being the top priority for the team and the sport,” said Racing Point. in a press release on Friday.

The 30-year-old is the first driver to test positive for coronavirus since the start of the delayed and shortened season at the start of the month.

Racing Point also moved a small group of team members who had been in contact with Perez into self-isolation as a precaution and tested them again, a team spokesperson confirmed at F1.

Source

Content Protection by DMCA.com

Check Also

Cristiano Ronaldo’s brace can’t save Juventus in the Champions League

The Serie A champion faced a difficult task from the start with their Lyon opponents …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *