F1 gets green light to start season with Austrian GP double-header

The race on the Red Bull Ring circuit at Spielberg will be the first of a double-headed F1, the second taking place the following weekend.

The two races will take place behind closed doors without spectators, this was confirmed in a press release issued to CNN.

Austrian Health Minister Rudolf Anshober said the two races were approved after the organizers of Formula 1 “presented a comprehensive professional safety plan” to prevent the spread of Covid-19.

“In addition to strict hygiene measures, the plan also provides for regular health tests and checks for the teams and all other employees,” he added.

The relatively distant location of the Red Bull Ring and a nearby local airport have made it the ideal location for F1 under the current circumstances, while infection rates and death numbers below 700 in Austria have been relatively lower to those of other European countries.

Chaotic start

The green light for the start of the action will relieve the organizers and the F1 teams after the start of chaos in chaos with the last minute cancellation of the Australian Grand Prix in March, just a few hours before the start of practice . .

Melbourne was the first of 10 races canceled or postponed, but F1 boss Chase Carey said he believed a 15-18 racing season could still be over.

LILY: Australian GP canceled at the last minute
LILY: Hamilton: ‘shocking’ Australian GP to continue

When it starts, Lewis Hamilton will be looking to win a seventh world F1 title, a record, but he hopes to be able to race in front of his audience in a double-headed British Grand Prix at Silverstone after the Austrian races are still present. the balance.

In a sign of hope, the British government gave the green light on Saturday to resume competitive sport as early as Monday.

“It is up to each sport to decide exactly when to resume competition. They know their sport best. But football, tennis, horse racing, Formula 1, cricket, golf, rugby, snooker and ‘Others are ready to return to our (TV) soon,’ said Oliver Dowden, the secretary of state for digital, culture, media and sports.

But an insistence by the British government that all arrivals in the country undergo a quarantine period of two weeks could have an impact on the plans for the British Grand Prix, unless otherwise agreed.

While F1 action has been limited to virtual racing, behind the scenes there has been considerable upheaval with Carlos Sainz replacing Sebastian Vettel at Ferrari for 2021 and Daniel Ricciardo leaving Renault for McLaren.

Smaller teams also came under considerable financial pressure, as Williams announced earlier this week that it was on sale after posting a loss of £ 13 million ($ 15.7 million) last year.

Source link

Content Protection by DMCA.com

Check Also

Susie Wolff says Lewis Hamilton’s criticism of F1 is ‘absolutely valid’

“I’m someone who’s been in the paddocks with Lewis from a very young age,” Wolff …