For the latest news and information on the coronavirus pandemic, visit the WHO website.
thecontinues to wreak havoc. Because people have to stay home and avoid contact with others, a cascade of cancellations and postponements has erased major events from the calendar.
Disneyland and Disney World are closed. James Bond films at Black Widow have been postponed. Major events such as SXSW, the, the and have all been canceled. , the Cannes film festival and the have been affected. the , as many more sports leagues have done. Formula 1 and Wimbledon are also disabled.
The last major events concerned: The in-person conferences for Defcon and Gamescom, as well as the International Broadcasting Convention in Amsterdam. Annual summer events like the Iowa State Fair, Lollapalooza and the Taste of Chicago have also been cut this year.
Here’s how the epidemic affects our lives with postponements, cancellations and closings.
- Tour de France the the cycle race will not start on June 27 as planned. The organizers said they were trying to find new dates for the event.
- UFC 249 UFC President Dana White said on April 9 that the event, scheduled for April 18, had been canceled.
- British Open On April 6, the Royal and Ancient Golf Club announced that the 149th British Open Championship would be delayed until 2021.
- Wimbledon On April 1, the 2020 tennis championship was moved to 2021, when it runs from June 28 to July 11.
- Tokyo Olympics On March 24, the International Olympic Committee and the Japanese Prime Minister declared that the . On March 30, the IOC announced that the games will now take place from July 23 to August 8, 2021, with the Paralympic Games taking place from August 24 to September 5, 2021.
- NBA On March 11, after Utah Jazz player Rudy Gobert tested positive for coronavirus.
- Formula One the , the first race in the 2020 Formula 1 season, was canceled after a member of the McLaren team tested positive for the virus. Upcoming races in Bahrain and Vietnam have been postponed.
- English Premier League English football authorities have until at least April 3 after a player and a coach from different teams have tested positive for the virus. On 17 March, UEFA, the governing body of European football, postponed its national tournament for the European Championship to next year. This can allow leagues, including the EPL, to end their seasons during the summer.
- Major League Soccer the on March 12 as he “continues to assess the impact of COVID-19 with his medical team and public health officials”.
- NCAA Several major Division I conferences in the NCAA, including the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, ACC and the American Athletic Conference, announced on March 12 that they would cancel their respective conference tournaments this week. the .
- NHL On March 12, .
- MLB Major League Baseball Spring Training Matches Suspended at least two weeks. On March 16, after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shared updated recommendations restricting events with more than 50 people for the next eight weeks, the MLB said it would follow these guidelines and delay further opening. of the regular season.
- The Masters Tournament The Augusta National Golf Club postponed the Masters 2020 tournament on March 13, citing “the health and well-being of all those associated with these events and citizens of the Augusta community”. The club has not given a new date for the tournament.
- Kentucky derby The Kentucky Derby Festival postponed all events until April 4, and the Kentucky Derby race was reportedly postponed until September 5.
- Boston Marathon Originally scheduled for April 20, the Boston Marathon will now run on September 14, according to the Boston Athletic Association.
- EA esports Video game publisher EA has said it will suspend all live events for its competitive game series, which includes the Apex Legends, EA Sports FIFA 20 Global Series, FIFA Online 4 Live Events and Madden NFL 20 Championship series Series. The suspension began on March 13 and will continue “until the global coronavirus situation improves”. Online events in which participants and staff are isolated will continue, said EA.
- Indianapolis 500 The event was . Meanwhile, the GMR Grand Prix has been postponed to July 4.
- Fortnite World Cup All Fortnite competitions will take place online for the rest of 2020, and this year’s World Cup is canceled due to the limits of interregional online competition.
- Wisconsin primary On April 6, Governor Tony Evers signed an executive order suspending in-person voting for the April 7 elections, moving him to June. The state Supreme Court blocked the offer. The United States Supreme Court also quashed an order from a lower court giving voters more time to return postal ballots.
- National Democratic Convention On April 2, the National Democratic Convention was postponed from mid-July to the week of August 17. It should still take place in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- Rallies Democratic presidential candidates Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders have canceled rallies leading to primary elections in several states.
- Primary maryland On March 17, Maryland postponed its presidential and parliamentary primary until June 2. It was originally scheduled for April 28.
- Ohio primary On March 16, the governor of Ohio ordered the polling stations closed just one day before the state’s presidential primary. The Ohio primary is now scheduled for June 2.
- Louisiana primary On March 13, Louisiana postponed its presidential primary, originally scheduled from April 4 to June 20. On April 14, Governor John Bel Edwards again postponed the election to July 11.
Cultural events and institutions
- Iowa State Fair The annual fair was canceled this year.
- Lollapalooza The giant Chicago music festival will not take place, but there will be a live weekend event from July 30 to August 2. The Taste of Chicago has also been canceled.
- IBC show The directory The International Broadcasting Convention, due to take place in September in Amsterdam, has been canceled.
- Kennedy Center All paid performances scheduled until August 9 have been postponed. This includes a 14 week series from Hamilton.
- MGM Resorts All shows and attractions at Vegas resorts are said to have been canceled until June 30.
- Pebble Beach Elegance Contest The event, which was part of the annual Monterey Car Week festivities in California, was .
- Oktoberfest Munich has canceled its Oktoberfest event, scheduled for September 19 to October 4.
- Elton John The singer has postponed the rest of his upcoming North American tour dates.
- Juggalos gathering The Insane Clown Posse said that the annual music festival, scheduled for August 5-8, had been canceled.
- Scripps National Spelling Bee The 2020 national finals were canceled for the first time since the Second World War.
- Pride parades Cities like New York and San Francisco will not be hosting pride parades this summer.
- Anime Expo The event, scheduled for July 2-5 in Los Angeles, has been canceled.
- San Diego Comic-Con The pop culture convention scheduled for July 23-26 has been .
- Taylor Swift The artist canceled all performances and live appearances this year, and postponed shows in the United States and Brazil from his Lover Fest tour until next year.
- Shakespeare in the Park The Public Theater in New York has canceled this year’s free summer season.
- Burning man The annual cross-cultural festival will not take place this year in its usual location, the Nevada Black Rock Desert. Instead, it will be an online event, at Virtual Black Rock City 2020.
- Platoon April live classes On April 6, Peloton announced that production would stop in its New York and London studios until April 30. On April 21, the company announced that it would resume live streaming from the instructors’ homes starting April 22.
- Blockbusters of movies A number of , including Black Widow, A Quiet Place 2, Mulan and the next James Bond episode, No Time to Die.
- Coachella the has been postponed to October.
- Glastonbury The legendary Glastonbury Music Festival in the UK, this year intended to present Taylor Swift, Paul McCartney, Kendrick Lamar and Diana Ross, will no longer take place on June 24.
- Met ball On March 16, Vogue editor Anna Wintour said this year’s Met Gala, which was slated to take place in May, has been postponed.
- Tony Awards Postponed from June 7 to an undetermined date.
- Peabody Award The ceremony, originally scheduled for June 18, has been postponed.
- 47th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards will not take place in June as planned, the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences announced in a statement on March 19.
- Ultra Music Festival This Miami festival has been postponed until next year.
- Upcoming movies Many movies and TV shows currently in production have closed, including The Matrix 4 and several from Disney .
- WonderCon Anaheim On March 12, WonderCon Anaheim, scheduled to take place in April, was postponed.
- Cannes The prestigious Cannes film festival, originally scheduled for May 12-23, was March 19 for a date later in the summer. On April 14, festival organizers said postponing was “no longer an option” and “it is clearly difficult to assume that the Cannes Film Festival could be held this year in its original form”. Organizers said they are still exploring options for this year’s event.
- Tribeca the , which was slated to take place in April, was postponed after New York banned events with 500 or more people.
- SXSW South by Southwest Sprawling Technology and Entertainment Festival, .
- Tallinn Music Week has been rescheduled for August.
- Broadway Broadway theaters closed on March 12.
- Eurovision song contest The famous flamboyant .
- EDC and Beyond Wonderland SoCal The Beyond Wonderland SoCal dance music festival, slated to take place in March, has been postponed to June. EDC Las Vegas was moved from May to October 2-4.
- Edinburgh Fsummer The world’s largest arts festival, the Edinburgh Fringe, was canceled on April 1, along with the Edinburgh Art Festival, the Edinburgh International Book Festival, the Edinburgh International Festival and the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo. It is the first time in more than 70 years that the Scottish capital has not hosted festivals in August.
- Billie eilish As if it were not enough that the Bond film for which she sang the theme song be delayed, Billie Eilish postpones her North American tour dates.
- The rolling stones Mick Jagger and chums were supposed to continue their world tour of North America, but the Rolling Stones have postponed their summer dates from San Diego to Atlanta.
- Madonna shows canceled in France.
- The Foo Fighters have postponed their 25th anniversary tour.
- Avril Lavigne postponed projects for European shows.
- Noose canceled shows in Japan and throughout Asia.
- My Chemical Romance was forced to withdraw from the long-awaited reunion shows.
- Pearl jam has canceled a North American tour.
- Green day was to shoot in Asia.
- Pixies have shot shows in Australia.
- Bronson Action shot shows.
- Mariah Carey moved a Hawaii concert from March to November.
- Rage against the machine canceled live dates with Run the gems.
- WHO canceled shows in the UK and Ireland.
- Camila Cabello postponed his romantic tour of the United States and Europe.
- Talk shows A handful of late night shows, including The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon and Late Night with Seth Meyers, went on to virtual interviews, with hosts broadcasting from their homes.
- The encounter The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York announced on March 12 its temporary closure.
- the Washington monument The National Park Service has closed the famous Washington Monument.
- White House Easter Egg Roll The First Lady’s Office has canceled this year’s White House Easter Egg Roll, which was slated to take place on April 13. “The health and safety of all Americans must be the first priority, especially at this time,” said First Lady Melania Trump in a statement. declaration.
- iHeartRadio Music Awards The annual awards ceremony, which was to take place on March 29, has been postponed to an unspecified date.
- The Jonas Brothers Their residency from April 1 to 18 in Las Vegas had been canceled.
- Kelly Clarkson Another disappointment in Vegas: Kelly Clarkson postponed her residency in Las Vegas from April 1 to July.
- Mandy Moore An Instagram article by Mandy Moore revealed the postponement of his tour dates.
- Alicia Keys The singer tweeted that her More Myself book tour and her new album would be postponed, although the book will still be available on March 31.
- Little big town The group’s Nightfall tour shows have been postponed until the end of this year and early next year.
- Zac Brown Band The musical act canceled their tour dates in 2020.
- Vidcon The annual conference on online video technologies, which was scheduled to take place in Anaheim in June, has been canceled.
- Academy of Country Music Awards The event was moved from April 5 to September 16.
- Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony The event, which was scheduled to air on HBO in May, has been postponed until the end of this year.
- Lady Gaga The singer went on Twitter to announce that she was postponing the release of her album Chromatica.
- Comicpalooza The Texas Comic and Pop Culture Convention has been canceled.
- Garth Brooks The country singer postponed performances in Charlotte, North Carolina and Cincinnati, Ohio, in June.
- BTS The group is rescheduling their North American tour dates after canceling their April concert dates in Seoul.
- Harry Styles The singer postponed his next tour of the United Kingdom and Europe to 2021.
- Governor’s Ball The New York festival, slated for June, has been canceled.
- Download the festival The British rock festival will not take place this year.
- QuakeCon The annual convention held by the video game investor ZeniMax Media, which was to take place in August, has been canceled.
- Pokemon World Championships All sanctioned competitive events are suspended, including the North American International Championships June 26-28 and the Pokemon World Championship Finals August 14-16 in London.
- Women Tech World Conference This year’s physical event in San Francisco will be replaced by a virtual event connecting “women, minorities and their technology allies”. This will take place from June 10 to 12.
- Gamescom The video game show will take place digitally from August 27 to 30, shifting its original calendar by a few days. It will serve as a “content center” for current events and publishers, instead of the traditional fair in Cologne, Germany.
- Nintendo E3 Direct will delay its June presentation of upcoming games, according to VentureBeat.
See the void as the coronavirus closes monuments, stadiums and amusement parks
See all photos
Tech industry events
Several major industry events have been canceled or reorganized due to concerns about the coronavirus. They understand:
- Computex, The annual Taiwan technology show, has been postponed to June 1-5, 2021. The show, , added a handful of virtual events, but does not move the show online.
- IF A The annual electronics fair in Berlin will not be canceled, but will not proceed as usual, April 21.
- WWDC Apple said on March 13 that its this year. In early May, Apple announced that the .
- Microsoft Build Microsoft announced on March 12 that it was canceling its Build 2020 developer event in person. The Build trade show will be held virtually, officials said, in the same time slot as the regular conference was scheduled for mid-May. In April, the company said it would make external and internal events digital only until July 2021.
- E3 was scheduled to open June 9 in Los Angeles. Some exhibitors, including , will host online events instead.
- MWC , an annual industry gathering scheduled to open on February 24 in Barcelona, was one of the first victims.
- Detroit Auto Show The directory after the Federal Emergency Management Administration designated its location, the TCF Center, a field hospital for coronaviruses.
- Facebook F8 Facebook and have both been canceled.
- Google I / O Android fans will miss out , the biggest company event of the year, where the tech giant announces new products and initiatives.
- Geneva Motor Show the , a die , was affected after the Swiss government banned all events of 1,000 or more people.
- Adobe Summit Adobe’s annual Las Vegas summit is closed, although some content is offered online.
- Nvidia GTC The keynote address and product announcements for Nvidia’s GPU technology conference, which is usually held in San Jose, California, and which attracted approximately 10,000 people, were canceled on March 16. The company previously announced plans to make the event only online. Nvidia has stated that it will continue to organize online training sessions from March 25.
- Snap Partner Summit The annual Snap Partner Summit focused on the Snapchat messaging app will be an online only event, with a keynote speech scheduled for April 2.
- GDC The annual game developers conference, originally scheduled for March 16-20 in San Francisco, after exhibitors like Amazon, Microsoft, Epic Games, Sony, EA and Facebook gave up.
- Google News Initiative Summit Alphabet Inc. scheduled for late April in Sunnyvale, California.
- Google Next Google’s annual cloud conference, which attracted 30,000 participants last year, .
- re: MARCH Amazon has canceled the next re: MARS conference in Las Vegas, which is in its second year of AI and robotics. All customers who purchased tickets will receive a full refund of registration fees.
- Dell Technologies World Dell reportedly told attendees of its 2020 technology conference that it had been moved to “a virtual environment” due to coronavirus problems. Speeches and some sessions will be online, the note said. Dell Technologies World was scheduled to take place May 4-7 in Las Vegas. Dell did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
- Photokina 2020 The world’s largest photography conference, scheduled to take place from fall to May 27-30 this year, was canceled by organizer Koelnmesse on March 18. It’s a biennial show, which means we won’t see it. again until 2022.
- Bethesda digital showcase Developer Elder Scrolls has chosen not to highlight its upcoming games in June.
- Techonomy East The New York conference, scheduled for May 19-20, has been postponed. Rather, there will be a free online conference on these days.
- Defcon 28 The hacking conference was canceled for 2020. At least the event in person did. An online version “safe mode” is scheduled from August 6 to 9.
CNET’s Corinne Reichert, Ben Fox Rubin, Jackson Ryan, Shara Tibken, Lynn La, Sean Szymkowski, Dara Kerr, Queenie Wong, Oscar Gonzalez, Dan Ackerman, Stephen Shankland, Chris Paukert, Erin Carson, Edward Moyer, Sean Keane, Eli Blumenthal , Richard Trenholm, Lori Grunin, Nick Hide, Ian Sherr and Shelby Brown contributed to this report.