Colin Firth is an English actor and producer. He is best known for portraying King George VI in the British historical film, “The King’s Speech” for which he won the Academy Award for Best Actor. Besides, he is the recipient of several accolades including a Golden Globe Award, two BAFTA Awards, and three Screen Actors Guild Awards as well as the Volpi Cup for Best Actor at the Venice Film Festival.
Also, he is co-founder of the production company, Raindog Films. He founded the company along with the British music industry executive and entrepreneur Ged Doherty in 2012.
He is quite active on social media platforms with around 13.5k followers on Instagram @justcolinfirth and around 40.7k followers on Twitter @firthcom.
What is Colin Firth famous for?
- His role King George VI in the British historical film, “The King’s Speech”.
- His performances in “Pride and Prejudice”, “Conspiracy”, “A Single Man” and “Bridget Jones’s Baby”.
Where was Colin Firth born?
Colin Firth was born on September 10, 1960, in Grayshott, Hampshire, England. His birth name is Colin Andrew Firth. He was born to his mother Shirley Jean Rolls who was a comparative religion lecturer at King Alfred’s College and his father David Norman Lewis Firth who was a history lecturer at King Alfred’s and education officer for the Nigerian Government and both his parents were born and spend their childhoods in India. He is the eldest of three children. He has a younger sister named Kate Firth who is an actress and voice coach and a younger brother named Jonathan Stephen Firth who is also an actor. Cyril Bruce Firth (who was an Anglican priest), and Helen Mary Lewis were his paternal grandparents. Montage John Rolles and Helen Jean Johnson were his maternal grandparents who were Congregationalist ministres.
He holds both British and Italian nationality and belongs to the White ethnicity. His zodiac sign is Virgo. He believes in Christianity.
Regarding his education, he attended the Montgomery of Alamein Secondary School. Later on, he enrolled at the Barton Peveril Sixth Form College in Eastleigh. After completion of his sixth form education, he moved to London and joined the National Youth Theatre. He then went on to study at Drama Centre London.
Colin Firth Career Highlights
- Early in his career, Colin Firth got a job in the wardrobe department at the National Theatre.
- Firth played hamlet in the Drama Centre’s production where he got noticed by the playwright Julian Mitchell who cast him as Tommy Judd in the stage production “Another Country” in 1983. He made his film debut reprising the same role of Tommy Judd in the screen adaptation of the play in the following year.
- In 1986, he starred along with Sir Laurence Oliver in the miniseries named “Lost Empires”, an adaptation of J.B. Priestley’s 19655 novels of the same name. The following year, he appeared alongside Kenneth Branagh in the film, “A Month in the Country”.
- In 1988, he portrayed the real-life soldier Robert Lawrence in the BBC drama “Tumbledown” which was about the story of a brave soldier who is severely injured at the battle of Mount Tumbledown during the Falklands War.
- In 1989, he played the title role in the romantic drama film, “Valmont which was based on the 1782 French novel “Les Liaisons dangreruses” by Choderlos de Laclos. The same year, he played a paranoid, socially awkward character in the Argentinian psychological thriller film, “Apartment Zero”.
- He was selected to play his breakthrough role as the aloof and haughty aristocrat Mr. Darcy in the 1995 television adaptation of Jane Austen’s “Pride and Prejudice”.
- In 1996, he had a supporting role in the romantic drama film, “The English Patient” playing the husband of Kristin Scott Thomas’s character, whose jealousy about her adultery leads to both their deaths.
- Firth played Lord Wessex in the 1998 romantic comedy-drama, “Shakespeare in Love” which tells of a love affair involving Shakespeare while he was writing a play.
- In 2001, he was again cast as a brooding and cold hunk in the film adaptation of “Bridget Jones’s Diary”. The same year, he had a more serious role as Dr. Wilhelm Stuckart in the made-for-television war film, “Conspiracy” for which he was nominated for a Primetime Emmy Award.
- In 2003, he was cast in the Christmas-themed film, “Love Actually” which explored the different aspects of love shown through ten interwoven stories.
- The same year, he was also given solo billing as the romantic lead in the romantic comedy film, “Hope Springs” but the film received very poor reviews.
- He played the role of painter, Johannes Vermeer, opposite Scarlett Johansson in the 2003 release film, “Girl With a Pearl Earring”.
- In 2005, he appeared in a comedy fantasy film, “Nanny McPhee” along with Emma Thompson.
- In 2008, he played the adult Blake Morrison reminiscing on his difficult relationship with his ailing father in the film adaptation of Morrison’s memoir, “And When Did You Last See Your Father?”. The same year, he also appeared in some films like, “Mamma Mia!”, “Genova” and “Easy Virtue”.
- He appeared in Tom Ford’s directorial debut film, “A Single Man” in 2009. In the film, Firth played a gay professor who has been depressed since the death of his lover eight years ago. For this role, he won the BAFTA Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role and achieved several awards nominations including Academy Award, Golden Globe, BAFTA, BFCA, and Screen Actors’Guild.
- In 2010, he starred as King George VI in the historical drama film, “The king’s Speech”.
- Firth appeared as senior British secret agent Bill Haydon in the 2011 adaptation of the John le Carre novel “Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy”.
- In 2012, he appeared in the film, “Gambit” which was a remake of a 1960s film of the same name.
- He co-starred in Woody Allen’s romantic comedy film, “Magic in the Moonlight” in 2014.
- He also starred as Harry Hart in the spy action film, “Kingsman: The Secret Service” in the same year.
- In 2016, Firth reprised his popular role as Mark Darcy in the romantic comedy film, “Bridget Jones’s Baby”. The same year, he portrayed American editor Max Perkins in the biographical drama film, “Genius” alongside Jude Law.
- In 2017, he reprised his role as Jamie from Love Actually in the romantic comedy short film, “Red Nose Day Actually”. Also that year, he returned as Harry Hart in the sequel, “Kingsman: The Golden Circle”.
- In 2018, he again portrayed Harry Bright in the sequel to Mamma Mia!, “Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again”. He also appeared as William Weatherall Wilkins in the musical fantasy film, “Mary Poppins Returns” that year.
- In 2019, he had a cameo as British General Erinmore in Sam Mendes’World War I film, “1917”.
- Firth starred with Julie Walters in the drama film, “The Secret Garden” in 2020 which is based on the 1911 novel of the same name by Frances Hodgson Burnett. In the same year, he also starred in the drama film, “Supernova” along with Stanley Tucci.
- Besides acting, Firth was an executive producer for the film, “In Prison My Whole Life”.
- In December 2010, he was the first guest editor on BBC Radio 4’s program, Today, during which he commissioned research to scan the brains of politicians to see if there were any differences depending on political leanings.
- Moreover, Firth has been a long-standing supporter of a non-governmental organization, Survival International.
Colin Firth Awards and Achievements
- In 2010, Colin Firth won a Screen Actors Guild Awards under the category of Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a leading role for ‘The king’s Speech’.
- He won an Academy Award in the category of Best Actor for The King’s Speech in 2011.
- He won a Golden Globe Award in the category of Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture for ‘The King’s Speech’ in 2011.
- He won two BAFTA Awards in the category of Best Leading Actor for his performances in ‘A Single Man’ and ‘The King’s Speech’ in 2010 and 2011 respectively.
- He has also won the Critics’Choice Awards in the category of Best Actor for The king’s Speech in 2011.
- He was awarded an honorary doctorate by the University of Winchester on October 19, 2007.
- He was presented with the 2429th star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on January 13, 2011.
- Firth was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire in the 2011 Birthday Honours for services to drama.
Who is Colin Firth married to?
Colin Firth is a married man. He married Italian producer Livia Giuggioli in 1997. The couple has two sons named Luca Firth and Matteo Firth together. But, the couple announces their separation after around 22 years of their marriage in 2019.
Previously, Colin Firth was in a romantic relationship started Valmont co-actress Meg Tilly. They began dating each other in 1989. The couple had a son named William Joseph Firth in 1990. However, the relationship ended in 1994.
He was also romantically linked with actress Jenifer Elhe during the filming of Pride and Prejudice in 1994. However, their romance only lasted for a year and they separated in 1995.
How tall is Colin Firth?
Colin Firth is a handsome man with a fair skin tone. He has an average body build. He stands at a tall height of 1.87m (6 feet and 1 inch) while his body weighs around 76Kg (167.5 lbs.). His chest, waist, and bicep size are 43 inches, 34 inches, and 15 inches respectively. His hair color is light brown and his eye color is also light brown. His sexual orientation is Straight.
What is the Net Worth of Colin Firth?
Colin Firth has good earnings from his professional acting career. As of 2021, his net worth is estimated to be $30 million. With his millions of worth, he is living a luxurious lifestyle.