Cover Image Credit: pixabay.com
With their vibrant blue-green seas, mystical islands, unspoiled beauty, there is no way you can compare the Maldives vs Caribbean. Both are known for their picturesque sceneries, their cultures, outdoor adventure, cuisines and, whatnot. If you’ve been contemplating between these two for your next best trip, you’ve come to the right place. Let’s take a closer look at how these two are different from each other. Read on to find out!
Best Time To Visit Maldives Vs Caribbean
You do not want to go to a place when it’s raining heavily and when the sky is so gloomy and dull right. Let’s look at the best time to visit both these places.
The Maldives temperature is usually around 25-30 degrees Celsius and drops at night, but it is often the same throughout the year. However, there are wet and dry seasons which is why December to April makes it the best months to visit due to the hot and less windy climate during that time.
The Caribbean is best known for its tropical nature. The temperature is usually sunny and warm throughout. However, during June and November, tropical storms and hurricanes may occur, making it not an ideal time to visit.
Must Read: 10 Caribbean Beaches For That Perfect Tropical Vacation In 2020
Imagine having a conversation with the marine life beneath the surface of the waves while exploring the beauty of mother nature in the deep blue waters. You can experience such a thing, in both Maldives and the Caribbean.
Here is a list of all the attractions that one can visit underwater in the Maldives for an offbeat experience.
- Subsix Underwater Restaurant: It is an underwater-themed restaurant built Underwater! Here you will be stunned by its architecture and the decorations. It is one of the best dining spots to get the vibe of the underwater world.
- Coral Reef: The Maldives has over 1200 islands, coral reefs, and atolls, which makes the underwater world look so spectacular and colorful.
- Kuda Giri: It is a wreck that is a famous dive spot that includes a pinnacle that is 15-30 meter deep.
- Fesdu Wreck: It is 29 meters in-depth and home to innumerable fish, eels, soft corals at the center of Ari Atoll. It has turned into an artificial reef and also has become a famous dive spot.
Suggested Read: Planning A Cruise To Maldives In 2020 And Don’t Know Where To Start? Look No Further!
The Caribbean offers a plethora of activities that take place underwater. Check out these attractions to not miss out on when visiting the Caribbean.
- Grenada Underwater Sculpture Park – It is the first underwater sculpture park in the world and is a huge tourist attraction.
- Hilma Hooker – This is a diver’s heaven that is famously known for the cargo ship turned drug smuggler. It is a popular site.
- Great Blue Hole – This is a mammoth marine sinkhole and is one of the top five scuba diving sites in the world. It is one of the famous natural attractions.
- Bianca C – Known as the Titanic of the Caribbean, it is listed as one among the top ten wreck sites in the world. There are eagle rays, nurse sharks, eels and other marine animals.
Suggested Read: 6 Exotic Dutch Caribbean Islands One Must Visit For A Paradisiacal Beach Vacation!
Activities In Maldives VS Caribbean
Both the enlivening destinations offer great outdoor activities to those who are adventurous and who want to experience the thrill.
The Maldives is more of a stay-in-a-resort-and-relax type of a place. However, there are few activities where you can have fun with your family or friends.
- Banana Boat Ride – It is a thirty-five-minute ride on an inflated boat shaped like a banana. It is a very fun and exciting ride.
- Dolphin watching – You get to see the cute dolphins as they show up to perform quite good tactics.
- Snorkeling – the Maldives is a great destination to experience snorkeling. There are few best house reefs where you can experience snorkeling at its best.
- Canoeing – Since the Maldives is a place best suited for honeymoons, canoeing offers to spend quality time with your loved ones. It’s pretty much a fun activity.
Suggested Read: Island Hopping In Maldives: A Tryst With The Turquoise Waters In 2020
The Caribbean offers a wide variety of outdoor activities and is the best place to experience them. You can have the most memorable experiences of a lifetime here when it comes to activities in the Caribbean.
- Kitesurfing – You can experience the best winds from December to June and enjoy the kitesurfing in no small extent.
- Paddleboarding – If you’re in water sports, then the Caribbean is the right place for you. This water sport has garnered huge attraction lately and, you will surely enjoy it to your fullest.
- Hiking – The Caribbean is home to a wide array of activities. Along with its beautiful beaches, it’s lush green and, mountain top areas offer an excellent place for hiking.
- Diving – You can do deep into the Caribbean Sea and watch the beautiful marine life and explore.
Suggested Read: Rosario Island: Explore The Crowned Jewel Of The Caribbean Paradise
Beaches In Maldives Vs Caribbean
The Maldives and the Caribbean are both blessed with the most beautiful beaches in the world with sand as fine as flour and water as clear as crystal, sparkling under the light of the sun makes it the most unforgettable experience.
Being a conservative nation, the experience of beaches in the Maldives is a little different. Check out the best of the beaches sitting in the Maldives.
- Hulhumale Beach – It is one of the most popular beaches in the Maldives with its beautiful grain like sand and the blue sea. You can spend time with your loved ones and rejuvenate.
- Bikini Beach – Even though bikinis are illegal in most parts of Maldives as it is a Muslim country, this one particular beach is excluded. You can enjoy here without worrying about getting caught in your bikini.
- Reethi Beach – This is the best spot if you’re on your honeymoon. The palm trees, the sparkling water, the white sands make it the best luxury destination.
- Cocoa Island Beaches – This island consists of several beaches and is one of the best beaches in the Maldives. The resorts offer an exotic experience and, you can also enjoy the spa and the beauty of this stunning place.
Suggested Read: Maldives Honeymoon: An Guide For An Exquisite Romantic Escapade In 2020!
The Caribbean is no less to the mystical beaches found around the world. With its captivating clear beaches and soft sand, it is a known destination to enjoy to your fullest.
- Pink Sands Beach – With its pink sands and clear water, it is one of the top beaches in the Caribbean. The pink color of the sand is due to tiny shelled animals that are washed to the shore.
- Shoal Bay – It is the best spot for activities like snorkeling, diving, kayaking, and swimming. Although it is quite crowded, the turquoise color of the water and the white sands make it the best beaches in the world.
- Varadero – If you want to experience the Cuban culture, then this is the right spot as it has many art galleries, handicrafts that tell us more about their culture.
- Seven-mile beach – There is a lot of seaside resorts on this beach and, you can go and enjoy and experience the games that are played locally on the shore.
Suggested Read: 9 Captivating Places To Visit In Jamaica For Your Next Detour To The Caribbean Islands
When you are planning out a vacation, the first thing you check out is the expense for your trip. It’s crucial to keep it under budget while traveling. So let’s look at which is more expensive between the two.
The Maldives: Looking at the average cost per person, Maldives is comparatively cheaper than the Caribbean. You can experience the luxury of the resorts and the Maldivian cuisines at a fair price. If budget is your constraint, then the Maldives is a much better option.
The Caribbean: The Caribbean is quite expensive due to the variety of recreational sports available. If budget is not your constraint and you want to experience the best of all the resorts and try out all the activities, the Caribbean is a good option.
However, if you plan smartly, you can go to both places and have the most fun and experience everything.
Suggested Read: With A Huge 135-Foot Water Slide, This Private Island Cruise By Royal Caribbean Is All You Need!
Food In Maldives Vs Caribbean
Whenever you go to any place, there is no way you can leave without trying the famous cuisines of that place. So, let’s look at what the Maldives and the Caribbean has to offer to us
The Maldivian style cuisine is a must-try, and if you’re a seafood lover, this is the best place with mouth-watering seafood.
- Street food – Few famous street foods are Cassava, Fish curry, Chapati, Garudhiya ( Famous Maldivian Fish soup).
- Desserts – Hedhikaa Masroshi (Fish Pancakes), sweets such as bodibiday, Foni Boakiba are very famous and to taste the creamy and the milky side of the Maldivian culture, you can try the Huni Hakuru Folio.
- Restaurants/Café – Reethi Restaurant, Symphony Lagoon, Jazz Cake, Iberry Café and Seagull Café House are some of the quite famous ones.
Suggested Read: 13 Maldives Resorts For A Luxurious Vacation With Your Loved Ones In 2020!
The Caribbean offers a wide variety of dishes from all over the world. There is no way you can leave without trying some of the famous ones here
- Street food – Jamaican Jerk, Goat Stew, Roti, Trinidad’s doubles, Conch Salad, and patties are some of the famous street foods available.
- Desserts – Bahamian Rum Cake, Besitos de Coco (Coconut Macaroon), Flan de Gruela ( prune Flan), Budin de Pan (which is the bread pudding) and Arroz Con Leche(Rice Pudding) are few to name.
- Restaurants/Cafes – Café Christine, Café Madeleine, Sheer Rocks, Vianda, Le Tamarin are some of the famous cafes and restaurants.
Suggested Read: 14 Most Expensive Islands In The World To Check Out In 2020
Cities In Maldives Vs Caribbean
Getting to know a place more is only possible by the cities and here are a few who tell you about the culture of both the Islands.
Although the Maldives is an island nation, this is still home to some of the most glittering cosmopolitan cities. Check them out!
- Male – This is the capital city which is very colorful and has mosques and is one of the most populated cities. The true essence of Islamic culture can be found here.
- Hulhumale – It is a reclaimed island located in the south of North Male, and you can go sunbathing on the Hulhumale beach and enjoy it.
- Maafushi Town – You can find the Maafushi prison and the bikini beach in this city, and it has the most guest house in the city.
- Vaadhoo Islands – This is where you can find the bioluminescent water under stars and is known as the ‘Sea of Stars’. This place is a must-visit place in the Maldives.
Suggested Read: 14 Finest Airports In Maldives Which Will Definitely Make Your Travel Experience Better Than Before!
Your trip is not complete if you do not visit a few of the famous cities of the Caribbean that explain to you about the history and culture of that place.
- Havana – Havana in Cuba will give you the retro vibes, and it is known for the home to classic cars, it is also the central hub of cigar production in Cuba.
- San Juan – San Juan in Puerto Rico is the most populated city and is known for its casinos, beaches, night clubs, and it’s rum. If you’re a party freak, this place is best.
- Santo Domingo – If you’re some who likes history, this place is the one for you. It is made of vibrant, colorful cities and has many museums and medieval arts.
- Willemstad – This city is known for its pastel-colored colonial architecture. These colorful buildings are the main attraction, and it is known for the different types of cuisine and is a center for shopping.
Suggested Read: Caribbean Honeymoon: Soothing, Luxurious, And Romantic Escape For The Newlyweds
Shopping is something everyone does when on a trip. Same way, you can find a variety of few popular items in both of these, and you can also take some essential things home.
- Shopping Places – Male Local Market, Majeedhee Magu, Island Bazaar, Le cute are the famous shopping areas where you go and purchase anything.
- Things to buy – Thundu Kunaa (one of the most excellent mats available), Lacquer work(Handicraft work prepared from Lacquer and color), Jewellery(Handmade pieces of jewelry), Fish products and cosmetics.
- Souvenirs – Native ships, Handmade necklaces, wicker mats, Dhonis are few of the takeaways from this beautiful place.
Suggested Read: Let Ashish’s Honeymoon Trip To Maldives Tell You How To Have A Super Romantic Holiday
- Shopping Places – Bay Street, Varadero Street Market, Straw Market, Guard Alavaca Flea Market are some of the famous areas to shop.
- Things to buy – Handmade items, Caribbean rum, spices, and the most famous Guava Cheese.
- Souvenirs – Island charms, jewelry, pearls, wooden bowls, straw hats.
Further Read: 20 Scenic Beaches In America Known For Their Vibrant Atmosphere
Both these places- Maldives vs Caribbean are equally fascinating, and they have their own culture and traditions. If you want to experience more adventure, the Caribbean is the right option. However, it is very difficult to choose the best between these two since both have the best beaches, fine sand and lot to explore. It all depends on your interests and the type of vacation you want to go. So when are you planning your trip to Maldives or vacation to the Caribbean?
Disclaimer: TravelTriangle claims no credit for images featured on our blog site unless otherwise noted. All visual content is copyrighted to its respectful owners. We try to link back to original sources whenever possible. If you own rights to any of the images and do not wish them to appear on TravelTriangle, please contact us and they will be promptly removed. We believe in providing proper attribution to the original author, artist or photographer.
Frequently Asked Questions About Maldives Vs Caribbean
A. Apart from being known for its beauty and landscapes, if you want to explore adventurous activities, you can opt for the Caribbean as it is abundant in them. If you’re more into just relaxing and enjoying the beauty of the turquoise sea, then the Maldives is better. But both are equally exceptionally beautiful and a must-visit once in your lifetime.
A. Few of the Caribbean countries are quite expensive like the Barbados, Curacao, British Virgin Islands. However, you can travel during the off-seasons where the hotel prices stoop low in comparison to the peak seasons.
A. Yes, it can be expensive on a few Islands and in some high-end restaurants. If you’re on a budget trip, you can try to prepare breakfast or go for low-cost hotels.
A. The Maldives is an Islamic center, so there are certain rules and regulations you have to keep in mind before going there. It is better to take clothes that are not much revealing to be on the safer side.
A. The St. Regis Vommuli Resort, Velaa Private Island Maldives resort, Coco Prive Kuda Hithi Island resorts are a few of the most expensive resorts in the Maldives.
A. Even though the Caribbean’s weather is pleasant throughout the year, it is best to visit from December to April to avoid the dark clouds and gloomy weather.
A. The Dhivehi cuisine is the Maldivian cuisine where most of the dishes are prepared from coconut, fish, and starch. One can try Garudhiya, which is a fish broth, usually served with chili or onions, Mas huni, which is a shredded smoked tuna and Masroshi, to name a few.
People Also Read: