Saturday , July 11 2020

Carlos Sainz reveals Covid-19 health fears as Formula 1 season gets set to start

The season begins this weekend in Austria with a double header at the Red Bull Ring in Spielberg, the first race taking place on July 5 and the second the following weekend.

Safety measures will be in place for the return of sport – masks will be worn and teams will have to stay in their “bubbles”. The McLaren outfit was tested every Monday last month, but Sainz is still worried about the possibility of contracting Covid-19.

“You could have Covid-19 and you don’t even know you have it and don’t even have symptoms or someone on the team doesn’t even have symptoms and they have it and you could miss a race because of it, “The 25-year-old told Amanda Davies of CNN Sport in a live chat on Instagram.

“And after four months without racing and no desire to run, suddenly you are perfectly fine and in good health but you have tested positive for Covid-19 so you cannot race in Formula 1, after four months, it would be a horrible feeling and something i want to take care not to happen.

“You might as well get it out of pure bad luck and there is nothing you can do about it, you just have to skip a few races because of that. But the worst thing would be to feel perfect, to feel like you’re feeling now , have Covid-19 in your system or in your blood, and not be able to run. “

READ: Lewis Hamilton: “Sad and disappointing” to read Ecclestone’s comments
Sainz poses for a photo before the Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix in Melbourne on March 12, 2020. The race was finally postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

“We will miss the fans”

No fan will be present for the first rounds of the 2020 season, but F1 boss Chase Carey believes it is possible that a 15-18 racing season may still be over.

The fanless race will affect the “before and after the race,” says Sainz, but as far as the race itself is concerned, the McLaren driver thinks it will be as usual.

“Those moments when you parade the pilots when you see the whole grandstand, those moments when you enter a track and you see a lot of fans supporting you, shouting your name, it fills you with energy and good vibrations, “said Sainz, who will replace Sebastian Vettel at Ferrari in 2021.

“And not having it will be sad and certainly different. There will be no lack of motivation. The motivation will be extremely high and we will be ready.”

READ: Pope Francis writes letter of support to Alex Zanardi after horror crash
Sainz drives for McLaren on the third day of winter F1 testing in Barcelona.

To take a position

F1 has attempted to make progress in solving diversity issues after the death of George Floyd and subsequent Black Lives Matter protests around the world.

He announced the launch of his own initiative #WeRaceAsOne, set up to tackle “the biggest problems facing sport and global communities – the fight against COVID-19 and the condemnation of racism and inequality”.

Mercedes has also announced that its cars will take on a black livery for the 2020 season as a statement that the defending champions “oppose racism and all forms of discrimination”.

Mercedes riders Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas will also wear an all-black jumpsuit, unlike their usual all-white uniforms. Hamilton said he also plans to create a commission on his behalf to increase diversity in motorsport.
Sainz is preparing to drive during the first tests at Silverstone.
Visit CNN.com/sport for more news, features and videos

When asked if the drivers were considering kneeling before the first race of the season, Sainz admitted they were “thinking about it.”

Sainz says he has “never seen racism in the first person”, although the McLaren driver is actively looking for ways to contribute to a positive impact.

“It does not mean that racism does not exist in the world. I therefore recognize that I admit that it could exist even if I have not seen it and I want to inform myself and see what we can do to improve the situation. ” ”

Content Protection by DMCA.com

Check Also

Bianca Williams: British athlete calls for ‘rigorous’ investigation into handcuffing incident

Williams was in Maida Vale’s west London district with his partner, Portuguese 400-meter record holder …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *