Benjamin Matthew Godfrey professionally known as Ben Godfrey is an English football player who plays for Premier League side Everton and the England national U21 team as a center-back. He started his career with the youth system of York City. In summer 2011, he moved to the youth team of Middlesbrough and was released by the club. He then returned to York at U15 level, with whom he started his scholarship. At the age of 17, he made his first-team debut on 18 August 2015. On 15 January 2016, he signed for Premier League club Norwich City on a three-and-a-half-year contract for an undisclosed fee and would initially play in their academy team and made his debut on 23 August 2016. On 24 August 2017, he joined League One club Shrewsbury Town on loan until 1 January 2018 where the deal was later extended to the end of the season. On 5 October 2020, he signed for Premier League club Everton on a five-year contract for an undisclosed fee, reported by The Athletic to be an initial £20 million, potentially rising to £25 million in add-ons. He made his Everton debut on 17 October 2020.
On the international level, he has represented England at various age levels. He has represented England at U20 and U21. He is yet to make his international senior team debut.
What is Ben Godfrey Famous For?
- Being a professional football player.
- Won the 2018-19 EFL Championship with Norwich City.
Where is Ben Godfrey From?
Ben Godfrey was born on 15 January 1998. His birth name is Benjamin Matthew Godfrey. His birthplace is York, England. He was born to his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Alex Godfrey. His father, Alex Godfrey was a former professional rugby league player. He holds British nationality. He belongs to mixed ethnicity. His horoscope sign is Capricorn.
Ben Godfrey Football Career Timeline
- In May 2011, he captained the York & District U13 team that beat Southampton at Stadium MK in the final of the English Schools’ FA Inter-Association Trophy which was the first time a team from York had won an English Schools’ FA competition.
- He started his career with the youth system of York City.
- In summer 2011, he moved to the youth team of Middlesbrough and was released by the club.
- He then returned to York at U15 level, with whom he started his scholarship.
- He captained York’s under-18 team in the 2014-15 season, while still a first-year scholar and was first involvement with the first team came as an unused substitute in a League Two match against Newport County on 11 October 2014.
- At the age of 17, he made his first-team debut on 18 August 2015 in a 1-0 home win against Yeovil Town.
- On 14 November 2015, he scored his first goal for York in the eighth minute of stoppage time with a shot from 10 yards in a 2-1 home loss to Plymouth Argyle.
- On 15 January 2016, he signed for Premier League club Norwich City on a three-and-a-half-year contract for an undisclosed fee and would initially play in their academy team and made his debut on 23 August 2016 as a substitute in the 65th minute of Norwich’s EFL Cup second-round match against Coventry City and scored in the 87th minute of a 6-1 home win with a shot from outside the penalty area.
- He made his league debut on 28 January 2017 in a 2-0 home win over Birmingham City.
- On 24 August 2017, he joined League One club Shrewsbury Town on loan until 1 January 2018 where the deal was later extended to the end of the season. He made 40 appearances and scored 1 goal for the club.
- For the 2018-19 season, he was back with Norwich where he played in their four Carabao Cup games but his appearances in the league were limited to substitute appearances until December.
- He made his first league start for Norwich in a 3-2 win against Bolton Wanderers in the Championship match, partnering Christoph Zimmermann as center-half.
- At the end of the year, he scored his first for Norwich in a 4-3 loss to Derby County.
- He played 31 league games during the 2018-19 season, starting 26 of them, and helped the club to promotion back to the Premier League.
- On 10 August 2019, he made his first Premier League appearance in the opening game of the 2019-20 season in a 4-1 defeat against Liverpool.
- In the 2019-20 season, he again made 30 league appearances for Norwich but due disrupted by a three-month suspension during the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic, the club was relegated back to the Championship.
- On 27 September 2020, he made his last appearance for the club in a 1-0 defeat against Bournemouth. From 2016-2020, he made 66 appearances and scored 4 goals for Norwich City.
- On 5 October 2020, he signed for Premier League club Everton on a five-year contract for an initial fee of £25 million.
- He made his Everton debut on 17 October 2020 in a 2-2 home against Liverpool at Merseyside derby in the Premier League, coming on as a 31st-minute substitute after an injury to Seamus Coleman.
Ben Godfrey International Career
- He has represented England at various age levels.
- He has represented England at U20 and U21.
- In March 2019, he received his first call-up for the England national U20 team ahead of their 2018-19 U20 Elite League fixtures against Poland and Portugal.
- He made his debut in a 3-1 defeat at home to Poland. He just made two appearances for the U20s.
- In September 2019, he was included in the England national U21 team for the first time for their 2021 UEFA European U21 Championship qualification matches against Turkey and Kosovo.
- On 6 September 2019, he made his debut as an 81st-minute substitute during a 3-2 away win against Turkey.
- On 8 September 2020, he scored his first international goal in a 2-1 away win against Austria in the 2021 UEFA European U21 Championship qualification with a sliding finish after a well-timed run.
- The aspiring young footballer, Ben Godfrey is yet to make his international senior team debut.
Ben Godfrey Girlfriend
Looking at his personal life, Ben Godfrey is too young to get married. The young footballer is focusing on his professional career. He might be dating a beautiful girl at present or might be single. He keeps his personal life and love life private. Any updates in his love life will be updated here.
Ben Godfrey Height and Weight
Ben Godfrey stands at a height of 1.83m i.e. 6 feet and 0 inches tall. He has a bodyweight of 74kg. He has an athletic body build. His eye color is brown and his hair color is black. His sexual orientation is straight.
Ben Godfrey Net Worth and Salary
Ben Godfrey earns from his professional career as a football player. His income is from contracts, salaries, bonuses, and endorsements. In 2016, he signed for Premier League club Norwich City on a three-and-a-half-year contract for an undisclosed fee. In 2020, he signed for Premier League club Everton on a five-year contract for an initial fee of £25 million. As of 2021, his estimated net is £3.5 million and his salary is £4 million. He has got a market value of around €20 million.