Clean with salt water since bacteria hate salt.
That a small dash of salt into a cup of warm water. Invert this cup over the belly button and let it soak for about 10 minutes. Then rinse off and dry gently with a paper towel or soft cloth.
Pat dry with a clean, dry cloth.
Make sure you use a new towel each time and take care not to snag the jewelry on it.
Belly Button Piercing Tips
- Be aware of infections. Classic signs of infection include redness, increased pain, warm and drainage. If the drainage is yellow, green or has a bad odor it undoubtedly has become infected. If any of this occurs be sure to contact your piercer and get in touch with your doctor. If the drainage is clear or a semi-opaque liquid is likely healing fine. A small amount of bleeding is not uncommon and should not cause alarm.
- Avoid antibacterial ointments and skin care products since they will clog pores and trap excess moisture, which inhibits healing. Some people are allergic and highly sensitive to over-the-counter antibacterial ointment components.
- Do not change your belly button jewelry. This may cause the piercing to track to close prematurely. Forcing the jewelry back into the piercing track will traumatize the tissue and greatly impair healing or generate excessive scarring.
- Avoid swimming pools, hot tubs, and lakes. Avoid exposing your piercing to water with possible bacterias. If you must get wet, be sure to use a waterproof bandage.
- Tight-fitting garments will irritate and aggravate the piercing sitewhich further delays healing and increases the chance of infection and a bad cosmetic appearance.
- Resist the temptation to touch or play with the piercing! The only time it should be manipulated is during the cleaning process. Always wash your hands before beginning the cleaning process of your new belly button piercing.
Suggested Aftercare Products For Belly Button Piercing
H2Ocean Piercing Aftercare Spray
[amazon fields=”B007M1ZQM2″ value=”thumb” image_size=”large” image_alt=”Belly Button Sea SAlt Spray”]
It is very important that you must take good care of your new belly button piercing on the outside. The first thing that you should do is to wash your hands first. Be sure to remove any dirt from the area then keep it dry completely. H2Ocean’s Piercing Aftercare Spray is one of the most highly recommended products for cleaning your belly button piercing.
It is a fact that sea salt can help in stimulating your body’s healing process. In order to use H2Ocean’s Piercing Aftercare Spray effectively, you must spray it around your piercing area. Do this at least 3 to 6 times a day. Keep in mind that you should not wipe it off. This can effectively relieve any itching and swelling.
[amazon fields=”B007M1ZQM2″ value=”button”]
Urban Releaf Piercing Solution
[amazon fields=”B01EWFKZGW” value=”thumb” image_size=”large” image_alt=”Belly Button Piercing Solution”]
Sea salt can help in healing wounds. However, it is not advisable that you should take a saltwater bath in your tub since you could unconsciously get bacteria from sitting in the tub.
Rather than taking a bath, you can soak your belly button piercing in a sea salt solution. Get a Dixie cup or a small glass and fill it with some saltwater. Bend over and press the cup or glass against your belly. Be sure to seal it against your skin. As much as possible try to press it hard as you slowly lay down.
The sea salt solution should stay on your belly button for at least 10 minutes. Do this once during the first day, then after that, you could do it twice a day.
Do it once in the morning, then once in the evening before going to bed. The saltwater can effectively break down the crust that may form around the piercing. Additionally, this is also an excellent cleanser and natural healer.
[amazon fields=”B01EWFKZGW” value=”button”]
Frequently Asked Belly Button Piercing Questions
If you still have some questions, there is no need to worry. We have asked our readers what their lingering inquiries are and listed them here for you. We hope this helps you understand and make a decision on whether or not a belly button piercing is right for you.
Do belly button piercings hurt?
There is always a degree of pain involved in getting a piercing. However, a belly button piercing goes through soft tissue, which means it shouldn’t hurt much. This all depends on your pain tolerance, of course.
How long will my belly button piercing take to heal?
Make sure you are following the proper piercing aftercare regimen to maximize healing times. In general, it will take around four to six weeks for your piercing to heal completely. If you experience issues or are worried about your piercing, ask the piercer that did it to help or go to a licensed medical professional.
Do belly button piercings close quickly?
This varies from person to person and depends on how long the piercing has been in for. If you have had the belly button piercing a few years, it could take several weeks for it to close. Surface piercings all are like this!
Does getting a belly button piercing hurt?
During the piercing procedure, there may be a sharp, quick pain. However, after this initial pain, the discomfort is usually minimal. As the skin around the belly button area heals, there may be some discomfort, especially if the ring is pulled, but this is usually mild.
However, be wary of experiencing greater amounts of pain in the area. This may mean that there is an infection, so pay attention to signals of your body.
Belly Button Piercings Final Thoughts
Belly button rings or navel piercings are a great way to show personal style and flair, but it’s easy to end up with a bad result without paying attention to the piercer, belly rings you buy, and aftercare. Use these tips and warnings to learn more about belly rings and having a great overall experience. A belly button ring is a great beginner piercing for younger (mostly) girls who are just starting to explore the world of piercing and tattoos.
Hello! My name is Emily and I obsessed with piercings (and tattoos) since I was a little girl of 6 years old. I was fortunate enough to make my passion my work after meeting my amazing husband Jeffrey who owned his own tattoo shop. I just recently finished my internships at some of America’s most famous piercing shops and a dream to start something together was born. After falling in love with each other (and each other’s piercings and tattoos) we decided to expand his tattoo shop and I got to manage my own piercing shop in the same space! I’ve never been so happy being able to share my love for piercings through my shop and this blog I started back in 2013. We love to share models and inspiration, so feel free to email me your suggestions, pictures or if you just want to say hi!