Beach 5 Best Beaches to Surf in Sri Lanka
- The wave rider is also known as the surfer rides on the forward or even the broad face of the moving wave which more than often carries him/her towards the shore.
- Waves that are most suitable for surfing are found in the ocean(s), but could also be found in lakes and rarely in the rivers even the big ones. It, therefore, takes a unique oceanic beach or lake to provide waves that are outstanding and suitable enough for surfing.
- Such a special place for surfing is the numerous beaches of Sri Lanka. It’s an island country in the northern Indian Ocean off the southeast coast of the Indian subcontinent in South Asia.
Many are the reasons that would make you travel to Sri Lanka. Highly attractive beaches for surfing are found in every corner of Sri Lanka. But below is a list of 5 best beaches to surf in what I can call the land of surfers, Sri Lanka.
Dewata, Galle beach Sri Lanka.
- It’s alternatively known as the Devata, Galle surf spot.
- The quality of the waves here is classic, and the wind direction is towards North and Northwest of the beach. The wave swell trend is towards the South and Southeast direction.
- The swell size starts working at 3ft-5ft and holds up to 2M+/6M+.On a good day, the length of the wave can stretch to as long as 200 meters.
- Surfers of all levels of experience are suitable at the Devata, Galle surfing beach.
- On a weekly basis, few surfers attend this beach and could, therefore, be very suitable for training and private surfing.
- Sand forms the bottom of the wave, and hence minimal injuries are likely to happen in the case of an accident while surfing.
- Surfers of all levels of experience are suitable for surfing on this beach. This has therefore made this beach to be one of the most frequently visited beaches in Sri Lanka. The Devata, Galle surfing beach is just but fantastic and it’s one of its kinds.
Aragum Bay Surfing beach
It is one no surfer can afford to miss to visit in Sri Lanka.
- The speed of wind is as high as 22kph across the shore.
- Primary swell of the wave is 0.5m at 9s
- The secondary swell is 0.4m at 17s and, therefore, the total wave swell is 2.5 at 7s. This is a highly suitable aspect for surfing, and the experience here is, therefore, fantastic and irresistible.
- The air temperature is the best being about 31 º C while the ocean temperature is 29 ºC.
Elephant Rock Beach
- Here, surfers of all levels of experience can have experienced better than any before for as long as their surfing boards and other tools can hold.
- The type of waves here is point break and can stretch for as long distances as 300 meters! Who would ever miss on such an experience?
- The positioning of the tides is the best, and it would be interesting to note that there is no much traffic here. This makes it just but one of the best places for training and much more private sessions.
This should be your next choice on the list.
- It is most suitable for the experienced surfers due to the powerful tides and waves that are found here.
- On a good day, the waves can stretch to long distances of more than 300 meters, and you won’t find much traffic here.
- The bottom of the waves is just but sand and, therefore, is things go wrong then you won’t hurt yourself.
The Main Point beach
This beach is found in the city hence its name.
- It takes only a walk of 5 minutes from the city to access the beach.
- It is easy to find and is ever accessible to the public. This makes it better as a spot where you can meet new surfers and together form the surfing the next wonder in the world.
- The waves can stretch for as long distances as 300 meters on a good day.
- The bottom of the wave is reef and sharp rocks hence this beach is most suitable for experienced surfers as well as experienced swimmers.
This is a list of 5 best beaches you can visit in Sri Lanka, but there are much more. Why not discover all of them by acquiring a Sri Lankan Visa today? It can’t be any better than surfing in the top 5 beaches in Sri Lanka that have been enumerated above.