Before starting the activities of the home garden, it is necessary to have the necessary tools and equipment in your nursery. These tools and equipment must always be available to make your gardening activities easy and convenient.
You can work peacefully and efficiently if you have complete tools and equipment in your nursery. You wouldn’t worry about where to borrow because you have a full set of them always on hand when eventualities arise.
You don’t need big sums to start collecting tools and equipment. You can visit some agriculture shops for garden tools and buy cheap ones that are not that expensive, especially during site sales. As a gardener, you must follow this slogan “Use the right tool for the right job” to make your gardening work successful.
Some basic tools and equipment
Shovels: A rounded tip shovel should be preferred for digging especially for planting smaller trees and shrubs.
• Garden hoes – A garden hoe is useful for weeding and cultivating soil surfaces to allow a deeper penetration of nutrient and water plant roots.
• Bow rake – Provide a good heavy duty bow rake, which has short teeth on one side attached to a metal frame or “arch”. This tool is vital for leveling the soil to make it ready for planting or for removing large clods of earth or rocks from the soil.
• Spading forks: the spading fork is needed to open and improve the terrain. It looks like a pitchfork but has a shorter handle and wider teeth. It is used to dig hard ground and break the ground.
• Bull mat – This tool is common in the Philippines, its uses are similar to those of a garden used for weeding and cultivation.
• Sharp bolus: a sharp bolus is used to cut some herbs and small branches or generally for cleaning before cultivating the soil.
• Garden shears – Select a pair of garden shears that fit comfortably in your hand. Shears, sometimes called clippers, are used to prune, shape and remove leaves or branches.
• Garden hose – The hose is needed to water the garden. Depending on how much you need to water, an sprinkler is also a good addition to the list of garden watering equipment.
• Sprinkler barrel: it is essential for watering plants. Long nozzles allow water to flow out at a very delicate flow and are useful for reaching long distances. Select a watering can with a removable spray head: this type of watering can is perfect for watering young seedlings.
• Manual sprayer: the manual sprayer is useful for spraying some minor pests that can be easily managed for minor insect attacks in the garden.
• Spade – Similar to the shovel, but has a square end point used for digging and making plots and straight beds.
• Trolleys and wheelbarrows: they are necessary to transfer some gardening tools and equipment used in the garden works. Some other uses for carts and wheelbarrows are to collect and remove vegetables grown from your garden and to transport dirt and grass debris away from the garden. • Garden pruner – When you want to shape and cut longer plants, you will use the garden pruner tool. Pruners are available in two styles. One is the bypass style and the other is the anvil. Take a few varieties to see which style is best for you. Pruners who have blades and parts that can be sharpened can help extend the life of this gardening tool.
• Garden trowel – A garden trowel is also used for weeding and cultivation. Select the one with a steel blade to last longer in use. There are several types of handles to choose from. You can select the one with rubber handles which makes them easier to hold while using them and there are some designed to relieve wrist stress during use.
There are still some equipment to buy in your gardening operations, but these tools and equipment mentioned are the basics you should buy. If you already have your largest capital, Roto-rudder or Tractor is also important in your garden. In the meantime, be satisfied with the basic garden tools and identified equipment, you can already start your gardening operations. Happy gardening!
Source by Crisologo Ramasasa