Arne Sorenson – Bio, Net Worth, Age, Death, Death Cause, Life Story, Nationality, Family, Married, Wife, Salary, Height, Parents, Facts, Wiki, Kids
Arne Morris Sorenson famed as Arne Sorenson was a renowned Japanese-born American hotel executive. He was best known for being the President and Chief Executive Officer of Marriott International. Back then, he practiced law in Washington, D.C. with Latham and Watkins (specializing in mergers and acquisitions litigation), served as the Chief Operating Officer for Marriott. Besides this, he was also a member of the board of directors of Microsoft Corporation and Walmart as well as a trustee of the Brookings Institution. Sadly, he passed away at the age of 62 due to pancreatic cancer.
Marriott CEO Arne Sorenson dies after a two-year battle with cancer
Marriott International CEO Arne Sorenson died Monday (15th February), the company announced. He had been undergoing treatment for pancreatic cancer. He was credited with turning Marriott International into the world’s largest hotel chain after acquiring Starwood Hotels & Resorts in a $13 billion deal in the year 2016.
The hotel operator had announced in May 2019 that Sorenson had been diagnosed with stage 2 pancreatic cancer. Earlier this month, it shared the news that the CEO would be temporarily cutting back his work schedule to accommodate more demanding treatment. J.W. Marriott, Jr., the company’s executive chairman, said in a statement Tuesday that Sorenson was an “exceptional executive, but more than that, he was an exceptional human being.” “He had an uncanny ability to anticipate where the hospitality industry was headed and position Marriott for growth. But the roles he relished the most were as a husband, father, brother, and friend,” J.W. Marriott, Jr., added. “We share your heartbreak, and we will miss Arne deeply.” A new CEO is expected to be named within the next two weeks, Marriott said.
What was the Cause of the Death of Arne Sorenson?
On 15th February 2021, Arne Sorenson died at his Washington, D.C. home at the age of 62. His cause of death was pancreatic cancer. Back then, it was announced that he was undergoing treatment for stage two pancreatic cancer at the Johns Hopkins Hospital in the year 2019. Due to this, he also took work hour reduction from the company for treatment and spending time with his family members.
- Being a hotel executive who served as the President and Chief Executive Officer of Marriott International.
- Being a member of the board of directors of Microsoft Corporation and Walmart as well as a trustee of the Brookings Institution.
Where was Arne Sorenson from?
Arne Sorenson was born on 13th October 1958 with the birth name/real name of Arne Morris Sorenson in Tokyo, Japan (birthplace/hometown). He held Japanese-American nationality and his ethnic background was Japanese-White. His race was Asian. He lastly celebrated his 62nd birthday. Libra was his Zodiac sign and his religion was Christian. Talking about his family members’ profession; his father was a Lutheran pastor in Japan at the time of his birth and his mother was a public school teacher. Information about his parents name are still to get unfold yet. When Arne was seven years old, his family returned to the USA and he experienced his childhood in Saint Paul, Minnesota. Concerning his educational background, he graduated from Luther College in Decorah, Iowa in the year 1980 with majors in business and religion. He also proceeded to earn his J.D. degree from the University of Minnesota Law School in the year 1983.
How was the Career of Arne Sorenson?
- Arne Sorenson began his career by working with the Washington, D.C.-based law firm named “Latham & Watkins”. There, he became a partner specializing in mergers and acquisitions.
- Then, he became a senior vice president focusing on business development, as well as mergers and acquisitions.
- He also successfully handled the company’s $1 Billion acquisition of Renaissance Hotels.
- Then, he also became the chief financial officer and chief operating officer. He also became the president and chief executive officer in the year 21012.
- He was best known for being the CEO of the company which was the $13 billion acquisition of Starwood Hotel & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. making the company the largest global hotel with more than 30 hospitality brands including Sheraton, W Hotels, Ritz-Carlton, Westin, among others, and held more than 1.4 million rooms globally. In the year 2018, there was a security breach that compromised more than personal records including passport numbers, credit card details, and other personal information of over 300 million guests.
- During the time of the COVID-19 pandemic, he announced that he would not take any salary.
- What’s more, he also had served as a member of the board of Microsoft Corporation and Walmart as well as a member of the Special Olympics board.
- He was also named “CEO of the Year” for 2019 by Chief Executive magazine previously. Also, he received the “CEO For All Leadership Award” for 2020 by Great Place to Work.
- Regarding his political career, he was a registered Democrat but he donated to Mitt Romney’s 2012 election campaign. He also advocated for LGBT rights and had opposed Indiana’s proposed Religious Freedom Restoration Act.
- Not only this but he was also one of a number of CEOs who had asked for a full repeal of North Carolina’s House Bill 2.
- He even spoke out against then-President Trump’s Executive Order 13769, a ban on travel from seven majority-Muslim countries as potentially harmful to the U.S. tourism industry.
Who was Arne Sorenson married to?
Arne Sorenson was a married man. He married his beautiful wife, Ruth Christenson. He met his spouse when he was studying at Luther College and Christenson was working at her family’s ice cream shop in Decorah, Iowa. In the year 1984, their wedding took place. The couple was also blessed with four kids named Astri, Esther, Isaac, and Lars. Back to his death, the duo was enjoying his present life happily without any disturbances. His sexual orientation was straight and he was not gay.
What was the Net Worth of Arne Sorenson?
Arne Sorenson was a famous hotel executive who made a vast amount of money during his career lifetime and has embarked a successful lifestory. As per WallMine, the net worth of Arne Sorenson was estimated to have $142 Million. He also owned more than 100,000 units of Marriott International stock that is worth over $98 million. Over the last 15 years, he sold MAR stock worth over $30 million. He also earned over $13 million as President, Chief Executive Officer, and Director at Marriott International in the year 2019. He led Marriott on a trajectory that included a $13-billion acquisition of Starwood Hotels & Resorts. Sorenson was making a considerable amount of salary from the company. Sorenson was living a luxurious lifestyle from his earnings back to his death.
How tall is Arne Sorenson?
With the slim body build, Arne Sorenson stood tall at the perfect height matching his body weight. His exact body measurements have not been publicized yet. Overall, he had got a healthy body with a charming personality attracting a lot of people towards him. His hair color is salt and pepper whereas his eye color is dark brown.