This week we heard a rumor on the Apple news about the names of the four devices in the iPhone 12 main line. Most of the names were totally expected, but the smallest iPhone could come with a “mini” moniker. This would be the first time Apple has used the term for an iPhone.
In other Apple news, we’ve seen iOS 14 users finally getting access to Gmail as their default email app, messages on a mini-LED iPad Pro, some Apple TV Plus messages, and so much more!
Please see the Apple News summary below for the latest information.
Last week’s top Apple news:
- iPhone 12 names: According to reliable leaker “L0vetodreamAnd confirmed by another leakApple allegedly chose the names of the iPhone 12 devices. In order from smallest to largest, the leak suggests these names: iPhone 12 Mini, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, and iPhone 12 Pro Max. Most of these names were expected, but the nickname “Mini” is new. We originally expected the two smaller iPhones to be called iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Max. However, Apple may have decided against it to avoid brand confusion.
- Gmail is now a default option for iPhones: If you have iOS 14, welcome to 2008! We say you can now set the Gmail app as your default email client in iOS 14. IPhone users couldn’t do this before, but Android users have been able to do this for over a decade.
- The next iPad Pro could have a mini LED: According to Ming-Chi Kuo, a new model of the iPad Pro could be the first Apple product to feature mini-LED technology in the display. What is it and why is it a big deal? We’re glad you asked because we have a full explanation here.
- App Fairness Coalition: Spotify, Epic Games, and Tile have formed a new organization that specifically highlights the issues developers are having with Apple. The non-profit organization strives for “freedom of choice and fair competition in the entire app ecosystem”. Read more about it here.
- Apple’s solo loop band has got off to a rocky start: The new Solo Loop watch band that debuted with the Apple Watch Series 6 is not doing too well. Users report that it’s either too tight or too loose, and Apple initially got people to return the band and watch because of mismatched issues. Now Apple only accepts Solo Loop returns.
- Apple TV Plus wins its first Emmy: Thanks to Billy Crudup’s appearance on the Apple TV Plus original “The Morning Show”, Apple now has an Emmy. Crudup won Outstanding Supporting Actor in a drama series that is also his first Emmy.
- Apple records a new show directed by Ben Stiller: Other Apple TV Plus news will soon feature a new half-hour comedy series on the streaming network, directed by Ben Stiller and starring Patricia Arquette. “High Desert” is about a former addict (Arquette) who decides to reevaluate her life after her mother dies. She then becomes a private investigator. Sounds … crazy? We’re not sure how to feel about this.
Are you thinking of making the switch?
If you are reading this Apple article on an iOS device and considering switching to Android, there are several articles and guides that can help you with this process. Regardless of what it may seem, moving from iOS to Android is easier than ever, and many of the services and systems on iOS have similar or even the same counterparts on Android.
The best place to start would be our iPhone to Android Moving Guide, which covers all the basics. We also have more specific guides on how to transfer your calendar from iPhone to Android. We also have app guides that will give you the best alternatives to iOS staples such as: For example, our list of the best alternatives to FaceTime for Android.
If you’re looking for a great Android device to replace your iPhone, check out our list of the best Android smartphones currently available.