This afternoon we are back with our regular feature ‘Advice from Married Side,’ real-life wedding advice from all the lovely brides and grooms featured on the blog.
I get to do a lot of amazing real weddings here on the blog and with each wedding I ask the couple to share their wedding planning knowledge and experiences. This post is a super useful collection of wedding knowledge from people who have just got married, to help you in your wedding planning journey. I hope that there will be something in between these experiences that will help you. Happy plan!
Photo by Mark Tierney – The entire wedding here
- Listen to each other and be happy by compromising where you can. You both need to be happy and feel yourself that you have the best day, about who you are and that you love each other.
- Actually it doesn’t matter if it rains. Dance in Rimjhim Squirting.
- Entertain them if you are a child
- The most important thing is that you are getting married to the love of your life!
- If your budget allows this to happen, I would also suggest having a videographer to capture the day the bus just flies by!
- If I can offer any advice on planning a wedding it will not be decided, if you find a place that you love and your day will go to plan a team of amazing people.
- Consider a humanitarian ceremony, it was truly the most special, personal experience.
- Remember that at the end of the day, you and your fiance will get married and get all the things!
- Choose your right photographer / videographer. You will capture the day completely for life.
- Most importantly, enjoy it – you only get one wedding day!
Photo by Lauren Oliver – The entire wedding here
- You really like working with suppliers when people make it so much easier and more fun when you are working with them and in the day time!
- Do not tell your story to anyone, choose your details to celebrate and try not to waste time or money on other things.
- Remember, this is your day, do not go with what is not in fashion, or try to make heaven and earth do something that will not be practical, it will only cause you more stress.
- The best thing about getting married abroad is that everyone is fully involved in the wedding and usually makes a weekend of it, like being on vacation with all your best mates. However, you will need to organize some activities lasting the big days and field a lot of questions about flights, transportation and hotels!
- Take a breath in planning so that it doesn’t feel like you all do or talk about wedding planning.
- I think it’s great to go with ideas but being flexible and willing to compromise helps vendors express their creativity which will help improve your day.
- It really helps that our wedding planner, caterer, florist and venue all worked together. This made it run very smoothly as they all knew the site and how it worked.
Photo by Christodoulou Photography – Entire wedding here
Make the day your own
- Pay attention to you and your partner, and always remember that this is your day and not your mother your mother-in-law’s, not your friend’s! Keep in mind when you are choosing everything from music to food to sweets!
- Not just because it is tradition. My parents have split up so I didn’t want a top table and it worked so well.
- Our mantra was ‘This is our marriage!’. Of course we want our guests to be comfortable, but the most important thing is that we want Andrew and my marriage. With many decisions to make and things to consider in the planning process, the guiding principle was important to us.
- At the end of the day it’s all about you and your fiance, be true to what you want.
- Do not follow the rule book and do your wedding whatever you want, for example both my parents took me down the aisle. Just do what you think is right.
- May your day reflect your life together. Take advice and comment from family and friends, but you will regret not doing what you wanted.
Photo by Maddy Farris – Full Wedding Here
- Make a list at the beginning of planning everything that matters to you! For us, traditions did not matter much and we just wanted a relaxed day where the guests would not be bored, hungry or thirsty!
- If you are thinking of getting married abroad, make sure you are ready for a lot of admin!
- Also the small local suppliers have actually paid, they all put a lot of effort into our day.
- We had finished work a week before the big day which was really helpful in finalizing the last minute bits without the stress of work.
- Choose the things that are worth fighting for, and don’t sweat the rest.
Photos by Emma Quinn – Full Wedding Here
- Do not stress. Everything will not go to plan, but you will not pay attention.
- The main advice would be to enjoy the day and hug and not be upset / disappointed if anything went wrong! The bridesmaids and I almost walked down the aisle without our flowers, no one noticed.
- Take a bun and take it in! You do such a long planning of the day, then feel like this in an hour.
- Do you have some cakes left over?
- Use as much help as you can on the day, my bridesmaids are really drawn together and I can’t thank them enough!
- Make sure your days stand by you are the ones you actually hold. For me, my bridal tribe was everything. They made the whole thing awesome and I couldn’t think of anyone else that I wanted from my side.
Photo by Eva Photography – The entire wedding here
I hope you find these pieces of advice helpful. If you are already married, do you want to add? Was there something in these words of wisdom that resonated with you?
Is there anything you’d particularly like to ask me for advice? Any questions just email me [email protected]
Big boho love
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
- 1 Photo by Mark Tierney – The entire wedding here
- 2 general advice
- 3 Photo by Lauren Oliver – The entire wedding here
- 4 Plan
- 5 Photo by Christodoulou Photography – Entire wedding here
- 6 Make the day your own
- 7 Photo by Maddy Farris – Full Wedding Here
- 8 Getting organized
- 9 Photos by Emma Quinn – Full Wedding Here
- 10 that day
- 11 Photo by Eva Photography – The entire wedding here
- 12 Big boho love
- 13 Kelly XX
- 14 Other things you may like …