Planning a vacation is not easy considering the many options that one has; From adventure based holidays to religious circuits. Some people prefer to just spend time on the beaches, while others like the lush green landscape and connection with nature. Apart from various destinations, availability of good accommodation at those destinations, Local food available and overall budget for travel are also major influencers in deciding which is the best place to vacation. A big question is that people also have a holiday or take time off within India and enjoy a holiday at an international destination. Two international destinations that come immediately to mind when planning an international holiday are Mauritius and Maldives. When it comes to deciding between Mauritius vs Maldives, It is a difficult decision. Both of these are perfect picturesque, beautiful destinations that offer a variety of activities for tourists along with some amazing sightseeing.
While both of them are almost identical, they are definitely different in their sights, culture, traditions and cuisine as well. Both these beautiful islands are easily accessible and are also a very popular destination for many Indians. Due to this, it is not easy to decide which island is best to go on one’s vacation. To help you understand, here is an easy guide to explain. Mauritius v Maldives. Along with these two islands are peculiarities and what sets them apart are some useful hints here, which can help you make a better informed choice based on your particular preferences.
Best time to visit – Mauritius vs Maldives
Mauritius enjoys a pleasant climate throughout the year, but the best months to visit this amazing island are between April to June and September to December. Maldives has average temperatures throughout the year. The ideal time to visit Maldives is from November to April, the peak season is between December and March. It is advised not to visit Maldives during peak season, do not pay high rates for hotels and food while holidaying there.
Places to visit – Mauritius vs Maldives
Here is the list of the best places for a relaxing beach vacation. It does not matter if you are going to travel to Mauritius or Maldives, make sure you do not visit these places.
Places to visit in Mauritius
Being a naturally beautiful destination, Mauritius has some of the best sights. Some of the places you should explore while on vacation are,
- Port Louis: It is the capital of Mauritius and home to many tourist destinations. In Port Louis make sure you visit La Place d’Arms, which is one of the city’s main squares and connects the beach with the government house. While at the square, one can see the statue of Mahe de la Bourdonis, one of the founding fathers of Mauritius.
- Grand Bay: Located in the north, it is one of the major tourist destinations in Mauritius. This is the place from where you can take shipping trips to explore other islands and also participate in underwater activities. It also has two beaches, one of which is “La Cuvette”, where one can find rare little white seas.
- Cap Malheurx: Located in the north of Mauritius, it is a beautiful fishing village from which one can enjoy spectacular views of the northern islands of Mauritius. A red roofed church is one of the major attractions of this village.
- Gesture canon: Located in the south of Mauritius, the place offers spectacular panoramic views of Lion Mountain and the Grand Port mountain range, which is a must for budding photographers. It is also a popular music festival venue and one can experience many concerts here.
- Blue Bay Marine Park: It is a well-maintained marine park that offers a beautiful view of many colorful fish such as parrot fish, trumpet fish and even baby barracuda. To see the amazing corals, a glass bottom boat can also be placed here, which is a few meters from the shore.
must read: November in Mauritius: An Easy Guide to Enjoying a Tropical Guide on the Paradisiacal Island!
Places to visit in Maldives
Along with beaches and coconut groves, the Maldives also has some interesting destinations, where you can travel while on a vacation.
- Hukuru Miskiya: A religious structure that was built in 1658, it is one of the oldest structures in Male and still holds religious significance. It has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage structure due to its architectural design.
- Banana rock: One of the oldest reefs in the Maldives, it has many beautiful caves and corals. Due to its calm currents it is accompanied by sea life enthusiasts, who often appreciate the natural beauty of the underwater.
- Adu Atoll: Adventure lovers, many of the best diving spots, which still have beautiful corals. One can also locate underwater a British naval vessel, which was torpedoed by the Germans during World War II.
- Adu Nature Park: A great place to experience the many unique fauna and flora as well as the Wetlands of Maldives. Red mangroves, baby stingrays and sharks are some of the things one can see in this amazing park.
- Utemu Ganduvaru: To experience a part of the history of Maldives, make sure you visit this place which is the birthplace of Sultan Mohammad Thakurfananu, one of the most revered heroes in the history of Maldives.
Read the suggestion: The Maldives in the monsoon: a guide to making the most of your island trip!
Access and Transport – Mauritius vs Maldives
While the Maldives is located close to Sri Lanka and about 1000 km from the Asian subcontinent, Mauritius is about 5000 km from the African continent and India. If you compare the flight time, the journey from Mumbai to Maldives will be around 3 hours, while the journey from Mumbai to Mauritius will be about 6 hours. So that these islands become quite close within reach and outside.
Both islands have well-developed transport facilities, which tourists can use to get from one destination to another. Mauritius has a rail network that connects its major cities. During sightseeing in Mauritius you can use a bus or hire a local taxi. Being a collection of Maldive islands and atolls, the ferry is a popular transport service that is used to reach various destinations. Local buses and cabs are also transport options that anyone can use in the Maldives.
Read the suggestion: 7 cottages in Maldives to taste the luxury of paradise in 2020!
Visa Formalities – Mauritius vs Maldives
Both Mauritius and Maldives provide free visa on arrival facility for Indians. Just one confirmed return air ticket and enough money is required for the duration of their stay. For convenience, this is calculated from around USD 100 per day to 150 USD. Visa for arrival is available only at international airports and anyone can present your passport, a copy of your air ticket and proof of money.
Read the suggestion: Maldives in February 2020: A Guide to Witness the Beauty of the Island
Natural landscape – Mauritius vs Maldives
The Maldives is made up of small islands called atolls. The atolls are circle-shaped coral rings with a lagoon in the middle. The major features you will see in the Maldives are the lagoon and the beautiful beaches with rows of coconut and palm trees. The Mauritius landscape, while similar to the Maldives with white pristine beaches and clear blue waters, also has some mountains as part of its major features. Since Mauritius has more land than the Maldives, one can experience more natural and man-made attractions in its cities. Both Mauritius and Maldives are very famous for having an extensive collection of marine life and corals that tourists can visit during their leisure days.
Read the suggestion: Mauritius in June 2020: Some grand places to enjoy the best of the month
Average budget – Mauritius vs Maldives
The biggest cost factor of your vacation to any of these destinations will be the airfare. There is a very specific benefit for the Maldives here as the return ticket from Mumbai to Maldives will cost you around Rs. 18,000 / – to Rs. 25,000 / – per person. A return ticket to Mauritius is about Rs. 38,000 / – to Rs. 45,000 / – Ticket prices subject to peak season demand and how quickly you book them. You also have to consider if there is any promotional offer while booking your.
In addition to airfare, the cost of living and eating as part of the overall budget needs to be considered. A package tour option is considered ideal for both islands as it usually covers all costs and you will be sure of your entire budget in advance. If you are planning to explore these islands on your own, Mauritius is a cheaper option as it caters to more tourists around the world, making it a tourist friendly destination.
read ahead: 11 festivals in Mauritius to experience its vibrant culture and heritage in 2020!
Both islands are winners when many activities are offered to tourists, along with clean beaches that contain blue crystal clear waters. In terms of activities and sightseeing opportunities, Mauritius has the upper hand mainly due to the size and greater land area. The Maldives is a better center for scuba diving and other underwater activities with its scenic tolls, if one is looking for a place close to home, the Maldives is a good option, not that Mauritius is too far or Is at a remote location. Both islands cater to a lot of Indian tourists so that you can ensure your Indian favorite cuisine in the restaurants there, as well as a chance to see some local cuisine. Whether it is about visiting Mauritius or enjoying a holiday in the Maldives, which is best for your budget and enjoy a relaxing holiday that you will remember for years to come.
Disclaimer: TravelTriangle claims that there is no credit for the images displayed on our blog site unless otherwise noted. All visual content is copyrighted to its respected owners. Whenever possible we try to back to the original s. If you hold the rights to any of the pictures, and do not wish them to be displayed on the Travel Triangle, please contact us and they will be removed immediately. We believe in giving proper momentum to the original author, artist or photographer.
Frequently asked questions about Mauritius and Maldives
a. While both the Maldives and Mauritius are equally good to travel, both have their share of attractions and activity options. Mauritius experiences more international tourists due to its close proximity to Europe, due to which it has very well developed tourist facilities. Maldives is a destination liked by Asians and Indians as it is very close to our peninsula. The choice of going to either destination depends on what activities you are watching and your total budget.
a. Yes, Maldives is a safe destination for couples as it is a very tourist friendly place. There are many resorts and hotels in Maldives that can stay with complete security and privacy.
a. The island of Mauritius is one of the most preferred romantic destinations for couples, especially for a honeymoon. This is due to the excellent tourist facilities and pleasant weather throughout the year.
a. Yes, Mauritius is a larger country than Maldives and even more clear land area. No more under water than Maldives.
a. Yes, one has to have a passport to go to these two countries. Both countries provide free visa on arrival facility for Indians.
a. No, Indian currency is not accepted in these destinations. One would need to convert their Indian currency to the local currency of that country.
People also read: