Cover Image Credit: Wikimedia
The ‘French Town’ of India is known for its spectacular beaches and lovely restaurants and bakeries. Pondicherry is also one of the best party hubs as the nightlife here is fantastic. The history and culture of Pondicherry are one of its kinds, and visiting this place can give you excellent travel experience. There are a lot of attractions in Pondicherry, and amongst all of them, Auroville is one of the most frequented attractions. You’ll also find many hill stations near Pondicherry that are worth a visit. The universal city concept allows people from different races, classes, creed, and caste to live harmoniously in one colony. Apart from Auroville, beaches of Puducherry and the museum attracts quite a lot of people. When you are in Puducherry, going on a gastronomical tour is most. The famous Arulmigu Vinayagar temple is also present in Puducherry, and this is one of the most revered Hindu pilgrim centers.
9 Hill Stations Near Pondicherry
- 1 9 Hill Stations Near Pondicherry
- 1.1 1. Yelagiri: Visit The Rose Gardens
- 1.2 2. Swamimalai Hills: Go On A Trek
- 1.3 3. Palani Hills: Attend The Annual Fair
- 1.4 4. Kotagiri: Visit The Stunning Waterfalls
- 1.5 5. Ponmudi: Take A Dip In The Kallar River
- 1.6 6. Lakkidi: Relax Amidst Nature
- 1.7 7. Thekkady: Feed The Baby Elephants
- 1.8 8. Vagamon: Try Paragliding
- 1.9 9. Vythiri: Go On A Boat Ride
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions About Hill Stations Near Pondicherry
Well, when you are here, there are also a lot of other places that you could plan to visit. Below mentioned is the list of hill stations near Pondicherry. If you want to experience a serene atmosphere away from the humidity then, these are the must-visit places.
- Yelagiri: Visit The Rose Gardens
- Swamimalai Hills: Go On A Trek
- Palani Hills: Attend The Annual Fair
- Kotagiri: Visit The Stunning Waterfalls
- Ponmudi: Take A Dip In The Kallar River
- Lakkidi: Relax Amidst Nature
- Thekkady: Feed The Baby Elephants
- Vagamon: Try Paragliding
- Vythiri: Go On A Boat Ride
1. Yelagiri: Visit The Rose Gardens
Yelagiri is one of the nearest hill station from Pondicherry. The peaceful and serene ambiance of this quaint hill-station can surprise everyone. The cluster of fourteen lovely hamlets forms this splendid hill-station. Yelagiri is one of the best hill stations to explore when you are in Puducherry, and it is famous for its brilliant rose gardens and orchards. Also, the smell of the fresh fruits is in the air of Yelagiri, and this makes Yelagiri even more special.
Distance from Puducherry: 238.7 km
Best time to visit: November to February
Things to do
- Try the adventurous activities like paragliding and rock climbing, and this is pretty rare in South-India. So, trying this when you are in Yelagiri is a must.
- Also, when you are here, visiting the temples is one of the most important things to do.
Places To Stay: Hotel Emerald Dove, Prajay Inn, TGI Kairos, The Green’s Inn, Cloud 9 Resort
Places To Visit: Jalagamparai Waterfalls, Punganoor Lake, Nilavoor Lake
Must Read: Shopping In Pondicherry: 18 Places To Find The Best Handicrafts In 2020
2. Swamimalai Hills: Go On A Trek
Located in the hill-station of Yelagiri, this is yet another beautiful spot that you must look forward to when you are in Puducherry. An amazing 3km trek would take you to the top of the Swamimalai hills and offers the best view of the surroundings. Climbing up the mountain would be a fantastic thing to do here.
Distance from Puducherry: 240.6 km
Best time to visit: November to January
Things to do
- Take a walk in the nature park and feel the freshness of the blooming flowers
- Explore to the fascinating waterfalls and take a bath in the crystal clear waters
Places To Stay: Lp Castle, Summer Stay’s, Cloud 9 Resort, Cloud 9 Luxury Villas, Treebo Laa Gardenia
Suggested Read: 25 Restaurants In Pondicherry 2020 That Will Satiate All Gastronomic Cravings
3. Palani Hills: Attend The Annual Fair
Known for its celebrated Palani temple, Palani hills are yet another popular hill-station that one must plan from Puducherry. Thousands of devotees flock to Palani hills during the annual fair at the temple. The lovely atmosphere and the fresh air can make you feel completely relaxed. Apart from pilgrims, Palani hills also attract a lot of adventure enthusiasts as well with their evergreen Shola forest.
Distance from Puducherry: 402.7 km
Best time to visit: November to March
Things to do
- Go around and experience nature in her pure form. Spot some of the wild animals like Bisons, elephants, monkeys, and tigers in their natural habitat.
- Birding is also one of the most exciting things to do when you are in Palani.
Places To Stay: Romans pod house, DOSTel: Backpacker Hostel, Vattakanal HomeStays, ABI COTTAGE, Bala’s Misty Cottage
Suggested Read: 39 Amazing Places To Visit In Pondicherry In 2020: India’s French Colony
4. Kotagiri: Visit The Stunning Waterfalls
If you are in for exploring some of the most extravagant waterfalls would come true when you are in Kotagiri. Tucked safely in the laps of Mother Nature, Kotagiri offers a wide range of options for every traveler. Kotagiri is an abode for some of the best waterfalls in South-India and also the Kota tribe. So, if you are looking for some best hill-station destinations from Puducherry, you must keep Kotagiri on the list for sure.
Distance from Puducherry: 406.6 km
Best time to visit: December to May
Things to do
- Go trekking to the nearby vistas and indulge in birding when you are in Kotagiri
- Take a walk in the sprawling tea gardens as Kotagiri is one of the largest producers of tea
Places To Stay: Silver Spruce, Enchanting Woods, Green Nest resort, Teanest Nightingale, Pear Tree Inn
Suggested Read: 8 Best Beaches In Pondicherry You Must Visit Before They Go Mainstream
5. Ponmudi: Take A Dip In The Kallar River
Located in the capital city of Trivandrum, Ponmudi is one of the most visited hill stations in Kerala. The place is surrounded by abundant greenery, and it offers the most stunning views of the nearby hills. During the mornings, the slopes of this peak are filled with fog making it a heavenly abode for people to experience. Taking a dip in the Kallar River on the way to this beautiful hill-station can be quite an experience in itself. So, when you are in Puducherry, Ponmudi can be one of the best options to explore.
Distance from Puducherry: 601.4 km
Best time to visit: November to March
Things to do
- Explore the most beautiful waterfalls in the surroundings and take a bath or dip.
- Go to the Ponmudi viewpoint to experience the best sunrise of your life.
Places To Stay: GOWRY ART RESIDENCY, Hill View Stay Inn Ponmudi, Hotel Rohini International, Amritham Holidays
Suggested Read: New Year Parties In Pondicherry: Welcome 2020 By Celebrating At These Splendid Venues
6. Lakkidi: Relax Amidst Nature
Located in the beautiful Thamarassery Ghats, Lakkidi is one of the most scenic hill stations near Pondicherry. The winters here can be one of the most beautiful seasons because this is when nature reveals her true beauty in the form of mist. The entire atmosphere becomes spectacular, and riding through this zero vicinity areas of Lakkidi can be one of the breath-taking moments of your life.
Distance from Puducherry: 534 km
Best time to visit: September to February
Things to do
- There are a lot of serene places that surround Lakkidi, and going to all these places can be one of the best things to do when you are here.
- There are also a lot of historical places with great significance, and visiting these places can also be added to your must-do things in Lakkidi.
Places To Stay: Anamala Serenity Homestay, The River Retreat Heritage Ayurvedic Resort, Riva Residency, Kvm Tourist Home
Suggested Read: 11 Top Homestays In Pondicherry For An Unforgettable Holiday
7. Thekkady: Feed The Baby Elephants
If you are fascinated by being in the wild, then, Thekkady in Kerala is one of the must-visit hill stations from Puducherry. Bathing and feeding the elephants at their camps can be one of the best moments to cherish throughout your lifetime. Surrounded by lush green paddy fields, areca nut trees, and coconut trees, Thekkady has been one of the most famous places that top the list of every traveler.
Distance from Puducherry: 444.2 km
Best time to visit: October to February
Things to do in Thekkady
- Visiting the Periyar National park and spending time with the wildlife in their natural habitat can be one of the best experiences here.
- Trekking in the wilderness of Periyar during the night can also be one of the best things to do for adventure seekers when they are in Thekkady.
Places To Stay: Niraamaya Retreats Cardamom Club, Sterling Thekkady, Kairali Palace Home Stay, Poetree Sarovar Portico
Places To Visit: Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary, Mangla Devi Temple
Suggested Read: 15 Fabulous Pondicherry Resorts Near Beach Where One Can Experience A Lavish Stay In 2020!
8. Vagamon: Try Paragliding
With the monsoons, the whole of Vagamon is filled with different shades of bright green. The pastures, the valley, the hills, and the jungles, everything turns fresh. Hence, post-monsoon happens to be the best time to experience the true beauty of nature at Vagamon. Vagamon has a lot of waterfalls, and exploring these falls can be an exciting thing to do during your trip to this fantastic place.
Distance from Puducherry: 489.1 km
Best time to visit: June to September
Things to do
- There are a lot of adventure activities like trekking and camping and missing such an experience is not good at all.
- Paragliding in Vagamon must be tried because of the stunning views from the surrounding vistas
Places To Stay: The Grasmere, Beyond Pines, Winter Vale Green Stay Resorts, The Kissing Mountains, Vimokshaya Resorts
Places To Visit: Vagamon Pine Forest, Marmala Waterfall
Suggested Read: 10 Churches In Pondicherry That Are Architectural Wonders!
9. Vythiri: Go On A Boat Ride
Tucked safely in the bosom of the most happening hill-station destinations of Wayanad, Vythiri is also one of the most frequently visited places by a lot of tourists and travelers. One can unwind in the laps of Mother Nature undisturbed and away from the chaos of city life. Vythiri is one of the unexplored beauties that you must plan to visit from Pondicherry.
Distance from Puducherry: 528.5 km
Best time to visit: October to May
Things to do
- Boating in the Pookode Lake can be one of the best experiences to have
- Exploring the waterfalls and trekking in the wild exploring some of the unknown and the mystical jungle trails can also be pretty adventurous.
Places To Stay: Vythiri Stream View, Morickap Resort, Vythiri Holiday Resort, Vythiri Danish Resort
Further Read: Pondicherry Honeymoon: Lend A Colonial Touch To Your Romantic Holiday
So, when you are done partying and having fun in the city, you could always think of these hill stations near Pondicherry. Exploring these hill stations near Pondicherry would be a lovely experience as it unfolds a lot of unknown paths that are most beautiful and serene. So, don’t wait for too long, just go ahead and explore these hill-stations during your Pondicherry trip!
Disclaimer: TravelTriangle claims no credit for images featured on our blog site unless otherwise noted. All visual content is copyrighted to its respectful owners. We try to link back to original sources whenever possible. If you own rights to any of the images, and do not wish them to appear on TravelTriangle, please contact us and they will be promptly removed. We believe in providing proper attribution to the original author, artist or photographer.
Frequently Asked Questions About Hill Stations Near Pondicherry
A. Yes, all these hill-stations are fantastic places, and there are a lot of adventurous activities that one can indulge when they are here.
A. Thusharagiri Waterfalls are the most famous waterfalls that one must –visit when they are in Vythiri.
A. Yes, it is mandatory to have the necessary trekking essential while you are planning for a trek at any of these terrains.
A. Some of the jungles are pretty dangerous because they are slippery, and since most of these trails are in the laps of Western Ghats.
A. Yes, Pondicherry is one of the safest destinations in India that encourages a lot of solo travelers.
A. Try cafe-hopping when you are in Puducherry for a memorable experience and sip your coffee while enjoying the views.
A. Yes, all the beaches are well-maintained, and one does not have to worry about the hygiene factor when they are on the beaches in Puducherry.
Looking To Book A Holiday Package?