Some of the most common tattoo designs include variations on angel designs, symbolism, and everything revolving around such a tattoo style. Angel tattoos are rather popular, almost around the world, and each style of angel tattoo carries a certain symbolism and meaning.
However, the majority of angel tattoos are unique and carry a meaning unique to the owner of the tattoo. People generally connect such tattoos to spiritual experiences, higher meanings, or simply rock and roll and rebellion.
So, if you’re looking to get an angel tattoo, and you’re wondering about the meaning and design you should get, this is the right place to be. In the following paragraphs, we’ll explain some of the main angel tattoo meaning and recommend some unique designs you can alter and change to fit your particular idea and meaning.
Angels And The Overal Meaning Of Angel Symbolism
Regardless of religion and your belief system, we cannot ignore the fact that angels as a concept are present in almost every large religion. This might be one of the main reasons why angel tattoos appeal to so many people; the symbolism is relatable but can be unique to everyone’s own experience and understanding, or belief system.
Moreover, angels as a tattoo concept show that the owner of the tattoo recognizes the symbolism and its significance, and often wants to show their own belief in the protection from God. Here are some other ideas angels as religious concept represent;
- In Latin, the word angel means ‘the messenger from the God’, which in itself is enough for someone to get an angel tattoo;
- Angels represent the good in the world, the pure and uncorrupted;
- Angels also represent the holy and the higher meaning of life;
- Not to mention, the angels as symbolism often mean protection, safety, and reliability in regards to God and his servants;
- Not all angels are servants; some of them refused to serve God, so they became fallen angels; therefore, they could also represent rebellion and the power of will;
- Fallen angels can also be a symbol of suffering, sadness, pain, and negative experiences;
- Guardian angels usually symbolize protection from the evils of the world.
So, when we observe the meaning of angels and the common tattoo ideas, we can say that the guardian angel and the fallen angels are the most prevalent as tattoo designs.
People tend to choose these too because they comprise the most meanings and relatable symbolism, and each person can ascribe their own meaning to the angel design. However, some people also choose the Cupid design, as Cupid is known as the ‘angel of love’. Others choose ‘baby angels’, or devilish angels as a variation of the fallen angel concept.
Here’s a little overview of what an angel might symbolize in regards to your belief system;
The Most Common Angel Tattoo Designs And Symbolism
Fallen Angel Tattoos
The legacy of a fallen angel is important to so many people. It represents rebellion and the will power, or the loss of innocence and personal growth.
The fallen angel tattoos often feature incredible designs, including powerful structures, exceptional wings, and human figures with intricate detailing and depiction of praying, for example.
However, the patterns vary and are adjusted to every individual’s wishes. Here are some of the most common characteristics of fallen angel tattoos;
- The fallen angel can have exceptionally big wings, that are either spread or broken.
- Some fallen angel tattoos show the wings covering the ‘angel’, where the angels appear troubles or looking up to the heavens.
- Other similar tattoos depict the angel looking down, in pain and regret, representing the troubled past or some negative experiences.
- The head of the fallen angel can be tucked between the knees as the angel is in a seated position.
- The fallen angel tattoos can also depict the angel soaring upward, showing how they’ve risen above the negative and finally reaching the good in life.
- Fallen angel tattoos can also feature objects like swords, hearts, fire, water, cross, warrior suit or robe, clouds, etc.
Guardian Angel Tattoos
Guardian angel tattoos are probably some of the most elegant tattoos out there. They usually have different motives, but all of the designs seem sleek, sharp, and exceptionally done.
Both men and women go for guardian angel tattoos since the symbolism is endless and can be applied to every single person and their life experiences.
Here are some of the most common characteristics of guardian angel tattoos;
- The guardian angel can have exceptionally big wings, which makes these angel tattoos exceptional for places like the upper back, the chest, or the shoulder area.
- Guardian angel tattoos often feature heaven-like scenarios, mountains, or cliffs, and there’s usually an object of glow or shine with or behind the angel.
- These tattoos often feature the angel as soaring or floating in the air, but it can also be grounded.
- Sometimes, when depicting a symbol of someone who has passed, the angel is depicted as floating in the air, looking down in a protective manner.
- Guardian angels can also be depicted as having a fight with a fallen angel or the devil, showing the idea of the fight between good and evil.
- Guardian angel tattoos often feature objects like heaven, clouds, sun, mountains/cliffs, swords or armor suits, scale, praying hands, tears, a halo, cross, etc.
The ‘Angel Of Love’ Tattoos
The Cupid or Angel Of Love tattoos are also quite common and popular, especially among the female population, but men also seem to be fond of such designs.
The meaning and symbolism of such tattoos often revolve around love, peace, commitment, loyalty, and the beauty of love. They’re often dedicated to the partner, so they can feature some kind of name placement, which is usually very subtle and nicely incorporated into the tattoo design.
Here are some of the most common characteristics of the Cupid tattoos;
- The Angel Of Love tattoos are often smaller compared to the other angel designs.
- The tattoos are often subtle and placed in areas that are usually hidden, furthering the meaning of ‘special’ even more.
- These tattoos often feature the usual symbols of bow and arrow, hearts, small cute wings, birds, nature objects, etc.
- The angel in such tattoos is often floating and aiming its bow and arrow at a heart, or in a general direction.
- Such tattoos often feature colored, red hearts, which lift the imaging even more, making the tattoo stand out.
- Some Cupid tattoos feature a name placement, usually of someone loved, under the angel, inside one of the tattooed hearts, or some other places within the tattoo.
The Angel Tattoo Design And Style
The angel tattoo design and style can be categorized into two different groups;
- The angel tattoos with sharp, dramatic, and large appearance/design
- The angel tattoos with soft, subtle, heavenly appearance/design
Depending on which style you prefer, the tattoo designs can vary and change. Nevertheless, the sharp and dramatic tattoos more fit the ‘fallen angel’, ‘warrior angel’, and ‘the fight between good and evil’ vibe. In such tattoos, the angel is often depicted as rebellious, large in appearance having widespread wings, a cross, or a sword. The imagery is very effective and sometimes haunting.
Often such tattoos resemble Renaissance paintings or even the paintings of baroque and neo-classicism. Either way, they do become a very striking detail on one’s body. Speaking of the body, such tattoos are best placed in the shoulder area, upper arm, upper back, calf, etc. They often take a lot of space, so they should be placed in an area that is big enough to fit all the imagery and show it in proper detail. Bear in mind though that such tattoos can take a lot of time to complete, so you might have to endure the pain for more than one session.
On the other hand, the angel tattoos with softer, more subtle appearance are often small and carry a more serene, delicate appearance as well as meaning. These tattoos can be very elegant and are often masterpieces when done by good tattoo artists. Such tattoos can also resemble the paintings of Renaissance and baroque but in a more classical manner.
They can be placed anywhere on the body, but people generally choose the arms, inner or outer arm, shoulder area, the chest, the upper back, etc. When small, these tattoos can be done in an hour or two, but can still cause some pain if done in sensitive areas with a lot of nerve endings.
The Best Angel Tattoo Design Ideas
In the following paragraphs, we’ll show you what we think are the best angel tattoo designs. These should suit anyone’s taste, preferences, and symbolism concepts. We hope you like them!
Best Guardian Angel Tattoo Designs
Best Fallen Angel Tattoo Designs
Info: One of the most popular fallen angel tattoo design comes from a famous painting titled ‘Fallen Angel’ by French painter Alexandre Cabanel. The painting was created in 1847, and it currently lives at the Musee Fabre in France. The painting depicts the Fallen Angel, inspired by John Milton’s Paradise Lost. Even to this day, the painting is still breathtaking and leaves people around the world in awe. No wonder it is the main design idea for anyone who wants a fallen angel tattoo.
Best Cupid Tattoo Designs
Image Source: Instagram
Best Baby Angel Tattoo Designs
Image Source: Instagram
Image Source: Instagram
Best Angel Tattoos With Words Designs
Best Angel Tattoo Designs For Men
Best Angel Tattoo Designs For Women
We hope that our little insight into the angel tattoo design has helped you understand the symbolism of such a tattoo. Moreover, we also hope you’ve come to discover the best design for your next tattoo.
Remember, you can always consult with your tattoo artist if you want to use one of the recommended designs but alter them to your liking and wishes.
Also, always go for a good tattoo artist; someone who has the experience, works with sterilized equipment and wears gloves while tattooing. Only then will the angel design come to life and become a work of art.
Disclaimer: Curated and re-published here. We do not claim anything as we translated and re-published using Google translator. All images and Tattoo Design ideas and images shared only for information purpose. Ideas and information collected through Google re-written in accordance with guidelines. We strictly follow Google Webmaster guidelines. You can reach us @ email@example.com. We resolve the issues within hour to keep the work on top priority.